Laughing and pointing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laughing and pointing

Red face Laughing and pointing

I'm used to getting looks and heads turning when I ride my bike. Many people give me thumbs up or roll down their windows and shout "nice bike" about the F6B.
    What I'm not used to is people pointing and laughing, but that's the treatment I got Saturday.
    My wife recently finished the MSF course, and I wanted to buy her a bike while the training was still fresh. I had wanted to put her on a CTX700 or a Honda Shadow, but when I showed her those bikes, she said they were too big and too heavy. She's very small, 5-2 and about 115. What she really liked was the Yamaha V Star 250. So I figured, get her what she wants and what she is comfortable with so she will ride it. When she gains experience and comfort on the bike, we can always upgrade her to something bigger.
    Well, the local shop only had new V Star 250s, and I wanted a used one. I didn't want to spend much on a bike for her until I see that she's really going to ride it enough to justify the expense. The only used bikes I could find were in North Carolina, about 90 miles away. So, Saturday afternoon, we drove the car to the dealership there, she picked the one she liked. I test rode it, and bought it.
    The problem is that she only has her learner's permit, not her license. So she couldn't ride the bike in North Carolina, and she's not comfortable riding in traffic yet. So I had to ride the bike home. While my wife is diminutive, I am not. I'm 6-2, 300+ pounds. The V Star 250 is not made for riders of my dimensions. I looked ridiculous riding all the way home on this bike. But I entertained everyone on the road. They laughed. They smiled. They pointed and giggled. I decided to just flow with it, so whenever anyone pointed at me, I gave them a twin beep-beep on the little bike's horn. Physically, it was a very different experience from riding the F6B, tremendously uncomfortable. The bike fits her. It doesn't fit me. But socially, it was also a very different experience.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Geez! It wasn't that bad!

I know how it feels. I'm 6'4" 330 and get the same if i ever ride my wifes Sportser. ( NOT OFTEN) To make matters worse, she has Kimba the White Lion on the side of it too....VERY embbarassing LOL

Attachment 6531

Yea, I get the same kind of looks when I take my yacht out for a cruze
    Attachment 6532

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Video of you riding is already up on Youtube.

Wow, been there done that. after many bikes From Honda Shadows all the way to Harley soft tails, and one switch back finally found the bike for her. My wife bought a CTX-700 and let me tell you it is light, nimble and I like to ride the darn thing. For a small engine that thing rocks. The big plus is she has had two tanks over 80 MPG. If far outperforms the Shadow. The only real draw back is the chain drive but that was not a deal breaker for me either. They even have one that has the DCT transmission and from what I hear is going over very well with a lot of people that are either fairly inexperienced, or just don't like to shift. If she has passed the MSF getting her license is easy. Best of luck and I hope you can avoid the expensive route I followed.

When I used to teach the MSF courses on the Seabee base @ Port Hueneme, we had a Senior Chief take the course on an over-engined Honda Minitrail-90 (now a 125). He needed a Fez and a Shriner's vest. He didn't mind at all, he just rolled with it and beeped often. He had the time of his life with that little bike!
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCMike View Post
    Geez! It wasn't that bad!
    just having a little fun

I USED to be in the same boat ....

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    just having a little fun

I USED to be in the same boat ....
    Rode a 250?