rear rack for f6b

Thread: rear rack for f6b

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Dale, here's an idea, how about offering this same rack in a form that can be mounted backwards...meaning on top of the rear passenger seating area, so that for riders that ride solo, and want to put a bag onto the rack...mounted over the rear wheel/on top of the passenger seat...can do so. The rack can be spun around (by you) have the mounting holes reversed so that they still line up to the backrest mounting bolts, and...(this is the fun part)...you could use Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers to have the bottom of the rack rest onto the existing passenger grab rails of the bike, so that nothing gets scratched. You would probably need to install dowel spacers between the rack and the mounting holes where the bolts go, to raise the rack up just enough to clear the rear seat, but just barely over the rear seat, so that the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers could rest on the passenger grab rails.
    Excellent idea Miles!!!!! I would sign up for that version as I ride solo 100% of the time and like to have the rear deck area unencumbered.

rear rack

good idea on flipping the rack forwards and backwards. i am cutting out two different racks and sizes. i will look into that, would have to have new mount for factory back rest, because it will not line up correctly when installed on top of rack, angles are wrong. thanks for the input dale

Make sure that the rack that faces your back has very blunt edges. I have seen this done by a local rider about 30 years ago. He used a cut down scoop shovel that had a hinge that was welded onto the rear facing rack. When folded, the device nested over the tubular rear facing rack and was useable in the folded position. When deployed/unfolded it covered most of the passenger seat and provided an additional large rack area. It was somewhat crude but effective.

The catch to this was when he got rear ended by a drunk driver while stopped at a light. The deployed forward facing racks sharp leading edge cut deeply into his lower back/buttocks. While he survived this, trust me, don't design anything that has sharp edges or that can impale you.

Everyone ride safe, ride far!

rack and back rest

working on the back rest to fit my rack. does anyone have any input as to what height and angle the back rest should be? i am making the back rest slide with, about two inches of up and down movement with the bolts that hold the back pad on. has anyone had a passenger on for a day, what do they think? i am also trying to make it slide front to rear about two inches. any input would be appreciated. thanks dale