Cruise control
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If you'll notice, my throttle body lever is bent with an offset, so that it fits within the recess in the stock throttle cable rotary arm. My throttle arm is .060. I removed the stock lock washer & used a star washer, which is much thinner than the stock washer. I reused the stock nut.

I mounted my cruise control the way I did so that i could access the dip switches easier. I had to move the wire attachments for the heated grips. I still have room for the heated grips controller & I can get the radiator cap off if I have to.

For the speed signal, I tapped into the VS wire near where it goes into the ECM. It's the white wire w/black stripe (#A10) on the Black connector. I used a X4 frequency divider between the VS wire and the Rostra unit. I was never able to actually determine the "pluses per mile", but it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 70,000 to 75,000. The VS signal is picked up off of the counter shaft 4th gear, which has 27 teeth and the engine turns 3250 @ 60 mph. 27 X 3250 = 87750. If I knew the gear reduction between the engine crankshaft & the counter shaft, the exact pulses per mile could be calculated.

I also tapped onto one of the coil driver wires (#A26, A27, or A28) for the RPM signal. This won't give the Rostra unit the exact RPM, but it doesn't matter, because the Rostra unit monitors the "rate of RPM change" for safety purposes if the clutch is pulled in or the transmission is knocked out of gear somehow.

The dip switch settings I used are based on the length of the lever arm and the relative angle that I used as it's attached to the throttle body. My arm has a C-C of 1-1/2" & the angle would be about 4:30 on the clock.

Gain: low
    Pulses/Mile: 19,300
    Engine/set up: 4 cylinder low
    VSS Source: Square wave
    Tranmission: Manual
    Control Sw: Open
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great work now everyone can stop bugging me to make the kit just need to tell them which pulse divider
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

We still love you Pete!
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

The pulse divider is available from Rostra. Part #250-4379.

After some further testing, I find that I get a check engine light, indicating a VS error in the ecm. This seems to occur randomly. Everything, including the speedo, continues to function normally. Obviously, I have more work to do.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by MSGT-R View Post
    We still love you Pete!
    See you in a couple of weeks

I put the Breakaway on my bike. My setup works great and I would not settle for anything less...Yes its $180. +but it works you set it and for get it

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro66 View Post
    Great work now everyone can stop bugging me to make the kit just need to tell them which pulse divider
    Nope, you ain't getting off that easy!!!!!

The rain finally stopped. More testing of the cruise control today. I have solved the "VS" check engine error by inserting a 4.7K ohm resister in series with the VS input to the pulse divider. I put nearly 100 miles on the bike with varying terrain & varying "set" speeds up to 75 mph. The cruise works perfectly & holds the speed to + or - 1 mph.

Barry

You are the man!

Now come do mine?