skinny gravel driveway

Thread: skinny gravel driveway

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

skinny gravel driveway

hey everyone, just got our F6B on Saturday and love it WAY too much (don't think that's possible though...lol). got the beast home and had NO fun trying to do 23 point turn ON gravel, with the wife pushing (happy wife......). we're looking for an inexpensive way to turn the bike around. the gravel is that loose red stuff. any I ideas on how to prop the bike up off ground and spin it? most dollies only work on a shop floor and I don't feel like paving my landlords driveway for him.....when I say its a skinny driveway I aint kidding. looking for some ingenious ideas!

Time to buy another house with a huge concrete driveway. I know how you feel on gravel....I hate even driving a straight line on it. I'm sure others on here will have some useful suggestions.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Hmm,,

How about set some forms for a 'mini-slab' in the driveway,,, (3 ft circle?) Some bags of quick-crete. Smooth and level,,,

,,,and a dolly?

While it might not be 'easy' to remove, it certainly wouldn't be 100% permanent,,, keeping you out of trouble with the landlord,,,

or,

Maybe a 1/4 inch thick piece of plate steel set on an anchored wooden 'subframe', installed at driveway height? ???? If it's not level/ SMOOTH/secure, the dolly method would suck big time,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Hmm,,

How about set some forms for a 'mini-slab' in the driveway,,, (3 ft circle?) Some bags of quick-crete. Smooth and level,,,

,,,and a dolly?

While it might not be 'easy' to remove, it certainly wouldn't be 100% permanent,,, keeping you out of trouble with the landlord,,,
    a

we thought about that as well. was at an auto store yesterday and buddy suggested using a bike jack, the kind you put under the frame and using slabs too. the landlords a bit a jerk, so pissing him off wouldn't cause me any lack of sleep. . we were kinda hoping there was a miracle cure out there. and yes.......next house circular driveway and a butler to do the turning around.....lol

An industrial sized Lazy-Susan at your point of turn?
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Lazy Susan

I have fairly limited shop space...all my bikes and big tools are on dollies or castors of one sort or another.

Several years ago I built a "lazy Susan" for turning my bikes in the shop.

I bought a industrial type lazy Susan bearing...about 8 to 10 inch outside diameter (about $60). Screwed this to a fairly heavy plywood base. Purchased a 8 foot piece of two by ten and stiffened it on the sides with some 1/4 inch x 1 1/2 inch angle iron. I sawed the plank on the ends so it had ramps at either end of about 4 inches when laying on its flat. This gets screwed dead on center to the lazy Suzan on the side opposite the plywood with the ramps facing up.

Place it in the center of the driveway. Run the bike up on it and slowly find the balance point. You can then turn the bike, essentially on a dime.

I know this explanation is worthless without pics.....however I am half a country away from the device. If you google lazy Susan motorcycle turntable you will get the gist of it.

tink

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
    Several years ago I built a "lazy Susan" for turning my bikes in the shop.

tink

Well, there ya go!!!
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

what about sheets of corregated metal, like we used in the military to make runways? geez, wonder where to find them?
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I like the MC jack idea,,, Especially because you could always use it later at the next location,,,

Still need some kinda flat/strong surface,,,

Any 'flat' areas in the driveway or is it all lumpy bumpy? The party would end quickly if ya dropped yer 6,,,