Do any of you like Harley Davidson.... - Page 15
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you like Harley Davidson....

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Ah yes the $16500, Liquid cooled H-D with engine designed by Porch, it ain't no air cooled V-twin, tractor engine that one thinks of when H-D is mentioned, quick, fast and what H-D drag races, uncomfortable as hell stock IMHO.
    That is a fine looking steed you had there
    That's correct! It was definitely uncomfortable stock. I have raised handlebars 2.5" and it's pulled back 2.5", seat is Rusell Day Long which also changed the seating position adding more leg room and reducing reach to bars. Fairing did great job at air management as well as Baker Air Wings lowers. Had a throttle lock. Bags were a good size and waterproof. Not much room for passenger but I ride solo so no problem.

I was very disappointed that HD didn't yet put this awesome engine, transmission and frame into a touring oriented bike. They would have sold a bunch, probably mostly to Non-HD customers, which would have been great for the brand. Seems like they are very afraid to loose their core customers by trying a different direction.

Maybe most people are not aware but HD has been collaborating with Porsche for their engine designs for a long time. Remember HD Nova, a V4 engined concept bike? HD seriously considered at the time to continue in this direction instead of V Twin. This engine was designed by Porsche as well. In fact, the reason they didn't switch to V4 was money. It was cheaper to continue with V Twin they already had than to change. Also, HD turned to Porsche yet again for help in designing the old tried and true Evo 80 inch engine. And again, Porsche and HD worked together on designing the Twin Cam engine as well. So, this has indeed been a long time business relationship.

VRod engine was probably completely designed by Porsche. Not sure if everyone knows, but VRod has metric bolts on the engine and some other parts, but not all.

I bought it to ride while staying in Florida. My HD Road King Classic at the time was throwing way to much heat on my legs during Florida's summer. I thought water cooled engine should do better, and I was right. Also, very little vibration on VRSCF. And the stock slipper clutch made for easy take offs.

I have recently switched to Victory Cross Country and I love it. It fits me great, handles wonderful and is very comfortable. The price was amazing I just couldn't turn it down and bike is like new, only had 1,300 miles when I bought it. I do like cruisers a lot.

20150616_073834.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Well, I have recently sold my HD that was absolutely faster than my F6B. Stock. It handled great, too. People forget that HD has been making this bike for 15 years now and still does.

Attachment 16025Attachment 16026Attachment 16027Attachment 16028Attachment 16029

It is a 2009 HD VROD MUSCLE VRSCF. Of course it is highly customized but that was the fun part. I was able to correct the only shortcoming of the bike, the ergonomics. It was all day comfortable to me. Very reliable, I would say the best bike HD builts.

I rode it for a few years and sold it with over 30,000 miles on it. Just felt it was time to move on. Awesome bike.
    Yup. The vrod is the only hd I'd consider. But it isn't a tourer. I don't know of a quicker factory bagger out there than the 6. Like I tell the HD guys... the F6B is a TRUE bagger. They aren't just bolted on accessories.

If I was in the market for a hotrod cruiser to replace my VTX1800- it would probably be a used Rocket3 Roadster or a used V-max.

I don't dislike Harley's at all...I just don't want to own one!!!!

To your original question and a simple answer....the reason I switched...and I have owned a few harleys, is the fact they are unwilling to increase the travel in their suspension which will drive your spinal cord into your brain if you hit a bump just right. They only have 2 inches of travel in the rear. Was hoping when they revamped the RoadGlide, which was my last bike, they would upgrade the suspension. NOT....they changed the suspension but did not increase the travel....WTF!! I tolerated it for a while because I really do like riding harleys but the last time I hit bump in that way....I said that's it...I'm done....Plus when I saw two F6B's at a biker bar last year and everyone was surrounding them like moths to a flame, I said "I gotta have one of these!!!"

I find the technology sadly lacking

The Jap bikes have always been technology driven, to make it the nicest and best handling bikes on the market. I had two 750-4 Honda road bikes back in the early days and they were the nicest rides on the planet back then, my M109R was a nice ride but getting older I wanted something fast and smooth and a lot less noisy. Harleys are alright for the Harley crowd but the technology just doesn't trip my trigger. The problems they have are not too my liking either, my buddy bought a big money 2013 Road King and it was in the shop before he even had 5000 miles on it. I will just stick with the Honda from here on out.

shooter
    I know that power and handling isn't everything , but what else is there?? When I'm out riding I like knowing that there isn't much out there on the road that I take a backseat to. I wouldn't like knowing that I'm in the middle or lower end. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    I know that power and handling isn't everything , but what else is there?? When I'm out riding I like knowing that there isn't much out there on the road that I take a backseat to. I wouldn't like knowing that I'm in the middle or lower end. That's just me.
    +1
    I'm also blessed to have a Harley SG with motor work.
    My HD buds don't usually want talk about what bike is....
    20151122_135241.jpg
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

No, I tired to think about this many of times and still I hate Harley's! I guess the main reason would be that every Harley rider thinks they are riding the best bike in the world and you can't tell them otherwise.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

I've mostly owned H-D. Enjoyed them all. Like my F6B better... for now. You either love motorcycles or you don't. I'd own one of most everything if I could!

"Would own one of everything if I could"-- amen to that!!!!! with 49 years of riding I have mostly gone between HD`s and Honda with a couple of Kaw KLR650 and a Triumph in the mix---love them all but hard to stay away from that 6cly power---