Honda response to paint issue

Thread: Honda response to paint issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Letter I sent

Here is the letter I sent today.

To whom it may concern,
    I am the proud owner of a black 2013 F6BD Goldwing. I love the bike, it does everything very well. One HUGE COMPLAINT, the paint is TERRIBLE! Clear coat is almost non-existent and paint is soft. I only use micro-fiber towels on this bike and paint is all scratched! Yes I know about black paint and how it shows everything, point is, it’s scratched because of the poor quality paint and clear coat. I know another guy in my area that has a red one and it’s the same way, so don’t say it’s the black paint, it’s just very poor quality. I took the bike to a custom painter I know and he said the same thing, poor quality paint and almost no clear coat. I expect more from Honda. I still have a 1997Honda Valkyrie standard that is black and yellow and the paint still looks brand new, even the plastic side covers that are exposed to jeans and boots. I hope Honda does the right thing by us F6B owners, we spent our HARD earned money and quite a bit of it for this bike, we should at the very least get a paint job that’s better than Macco!

Quote Originally Posted by Westernbiker View Post
    Here is the letter I sent today.

To whom it may concern,
    I am the proud owner of a black 2013 F6BD Goldwing. I love the bike, it does everything very well. One HUGE COMPLAINT, the paint is TERRIBLE! Clear coat is almost non-existent and paint is soft. I only use micro-fiber towels on this bike and paint is all scratched! Yes I know about black paint and how it shows everything, point is, it’s scratched because of the poor quality paint and clear coat. I know another guy in my area that has a red one and it’s the same way, so don’t say it’s the black paint, it’s just very poor quality. I took the bike to a custom painter I know and he said the same thing, poor quality paint and almost no clear coat. I expect more from Honda. I still have a 1997Honda Valkyrie standard that is black and yellow and the paint still looks brand new, even the plastic side covers that are exposed to jeans and boots. I hope Honda does the right thing by us F6B owners, we spent our HARD earned money and quite a bit of it for this bike, we should at the very least get a paint job that’s better than Macco!
    Send you a PM

I am not a F6B owner but have heard the F6Bs were not CLEAR COATED at all

I just posted over in the garage forum about dealing with the paint problems. I hope folks have a look and give it a try. I'm sure you WON'T be disappointed....... Teach

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    I just posted over in the garage forum about dealing with the paint problems. I hope folks have a look and give it a try. I'm sure you WON'T be disappointed....... Teach
    Teach, if you are "sure" we won't be disappointed...then you would be wrong. I read your other post, and it definetly reads as having been written by someone that clearly does not own one of these bikes yet.

Until Honda makes their decision as to what "they" are going to do regarding the bad paint on our bikes, I believe it would be an error to cover the bad paint with Liquid Glass, before the Honda reps get a chance to see and document every one of these bikes. I, for one, am not into washing my bike every time I take it out for a ride, and I most certainly am not into waxing it or polishing it...at all...ever. But then again, I ride my bike...rather than post about bikes I don't even own.

The Professor

Miles, try it, don't try it, wait out Honda, whatever.... that is your call. I was simply throwing out an option that works. I watched about 100 new Vision owners go down this same path in 2008. Yep they eventually got their bike panels replaced by the manufacturer after a year and lots of stress, and then put on the LG.
    Again, understand where you are coming from, hope you get it fixed........... but for folks who just want to ride and not worry about it, the LG works.

I'll wait for them to fix the paint issue

As one who was planning to buy this bike, I'm now waiting until I hear the paint issue is resolved. I've owned 2 Harleys, 2 Hondas (incl an '83 Goldwing 1100 - sweet machine!) and a Yamaha, and this is the first time I've ever even heard of "soft" paint. There's just no excuse for something like that. I hope when they fix that they add the cruise control and ABS. Hell, even the '83 had cruise control!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
    Teach, if you are "sure" we won't be disappointed...then you would be wrong. I read your other post, and it definetly reads as having been written by someone that clearly does not own one of these bikes yet.

Until Honda makes their decision as to what "they" are going to do regarding the bad paint on our bikes, I believe it would be an error to cover the bad paint with Liquid Glass, before the Honda reps get a chance to see and document every one of these bikes. I, for one, am not into washing my bike every time I take it out for a ride, and I most certainly am not into waxing it or polishing it...at all...ever. But then again, I ride my bike...rather than post about bikes I don't even own.

The Professor
    I was considering buying a new F6B and have the cash available to do it but....there is no way I will consider laying down $20K for a bike with a second rate finish. Honda is better than that. These are amazing bikes but not with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwiz View Post
    I was considering buying a new F6B and have the cash available to do it but....there is no way I will consider laying down $20K for a bike with a second rate finish. Honda is better than that. These are amazing bikes but not with this problem.
    New leftover 2013s can be found for $15,000. That leaves $5000 for a repaint!