Quote Originally Posted by khahn View Post
First off let me say my riding style is so mellow I haven't felt the need to improve the bikes suspension and I don't plan to. I'll take the word of those that ride more aggressively and have installed the fork brace and have noted an improvement. My background is in engineering and I see the telescoping front suspension of a motorcycle as an over constrained system. In mathematics, 2 points define a line, 3 points define an arc. In the case of the front suspension 6 points are trying to make parallel lines, not gonna happen. Because there are machining tolerances of the upper triple tree clamp and the lower clamp and the axle involved, there is already fight in the system. Some will have a lot of fight, some not so much, kinda the luck of the draw on how closely the 3/6 points line up. One of the factors for seal and bushing wear in the forks is how good or bad these 3/6 points of constraint do in establishing parallel lines. I believe adding a 4th/8th level of constraint may accelerate the bushing and seal wear, or it may not, depending on how close those 8 points are to creating 2 parallel lines. So in my case I'm not taking the chance since I don't need to.
I completely do not follow you at all; with what you described.

Adding that additional constraint (fork brace) is going to help reduce any inherent ability of the front forks trying to arc (flex) from the intended line of travel within them. The top of each fork tube body is now supporting the other laterally; not just at the axle pinch bolts and the triple tree clamps. Overall; the ability of these two fork systems to flex as an arc is now lessened. And that results in decreased bushing and seal wear.