Ultimate seat question, concerning passenger backrest

Thread: Ultimate seat question, concerning passenger backrest

Ultimate seat question, concerning passenger backrest

I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the Ultimate seat. What I want to know is if anyone here has the quick release passenger back rest that fits into the back of the seat? How do you like it? Does it feel solid? Or does it feel like it has too much flex? Will it work as part of a tie down for securing luggage to a luggage rack such as a MP3 rack? I have a standard, I like the idea of being able to quickly remove the back rest if needed. However, where the Ultimates on my Valkyrie have the passenger pad mounted to the sissy bar, the choices for the Ultimate is to either already have the Honda back rest and use the base to mount Ultimate's pad, or use the quick release. Just looking at the pictures, it's easy to imagine that there may be a lot of flex and pressure on the bottom side of that back rest. Thoughts?
    Thanks

I'll amend this queary , I just found the OEM base bracket on Honda Direct Line . The bolts and bracket would run $102. This would open up the ability to buy the Ultimate backrest that mounts to the OEM position.So my question still remains about the Ultimate quick release back rest option.

Can you post a link to this item? I have a new run of back rest risers in production...a direct OEM copy and 8 1/2" tall.....should sell for $49.95 to your door in the USA... I am not sure what your are getting for $100 +....this may or may not be a better deal for you....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Can you post a link to this item? I have a new run of back rest risers in production...a direct OEM copy and 8 1/2" tall.....should sell for $49.95 to your door in the USA... I am not sure what your are getting for $100 +....this may or may not be a better deal for you....
    The part is item #12 for $82 plus the cost of the bolts and shipping
    http://www.--------------------/OEMpa...JGDMJG4F2200AB

I don't have a back rest currently. I was intent on buying a seat with both rider and passenger backrests and that is still my goal. I am however now debating on whether I want the adjustable and quick release backrest that fits into the rear of the passenger seat or one that mounts as the OEM. You're ,as I understand it, making the extension brackets to raise the height of the OEM pad. How soon are you going to have those brackets?

I have the seat and backrest. The backrest has little to no flex that I can detect. It works for me and my passenger. However, I would not advise you to tie any luggage to it. It is held in by a roller pin type device latching to a little slot cut into the support bar. It may come up out of the seat if you hit a bump having the luggage attached to it. All that is needed is an upward pull to remove the backrest.
    Other than this, I love the backrest. It is adjustable for forward/backward positions. Being on the short-legged side, I have mine adjusted all the way forward. I have the king seat. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pap View Post
    I have the seat and backrest. The backrest has little to no flex that I can detect. It works for me and my passenger. However, I would not advise you to tie any luggage to it. It is held in by a roller pin type device latching to a little slot cut into the support bar. It may come up out of the seat if you hit a bump having the luggage attached to it. All that is needed is an upward pull to remove the backrest.
    Other than this, I love the backrest. It is adjustable for forward/backward positions. Being on the short-legged side, I have mine adjusted all the way forward. I have the king seat. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the reply.
    So you're saying that the forward to back adjustment is independent of the height adjustment? As far as luggage, I usually set my luggage, on the rack of my Valkyrie and it straps around the sissy bar to hold it on. It sounds like that might not be too reliable from what you are saying.

I just ordered the MP3 rack and have the brackets on the way. I'm debating on which way to go for the backrest. Like I said, I plan on getting the Ultimate, but was debating getting the bracket for the OEM and then the Ultimate backrest that mounts to that. You seem to be pretty secure in the sturdiness of the removable backrest though.

I have the driver rest. It does not have height adjustment. The passenger backrest has the height adjustment(2 position I think) but do not think it has the froward rearward adjust-ability. Mine does not flex at all when I sit against it. These just push in to the seat and "snap" in to the fixed height. Therefore, a substantial force upward could pull it out. If you are depending on this to prevent the pack from rolling forward/rearward you should be OK. If you need this to tie down to, I would say not. I would think if you secure the pack to the rack and just use the backrest for lateral support you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    The part is item #12 for $82 plus the cost of the bolts and shipping
    http://www.--------------------/OEMpa...JGDMJG4F2200AB

I don't have a back rest currently. I was intent on buying a seat with both rider and passenger backrests and that is still my goal. I am however now debating on whether I want the adjustable and quick release backrest that fits into the rear of the passenger seat or one that mounts as the OEM. You're ,as I understand it, making the extension brackets to raise the height of the OEM pad. How soon are you going to have those brackets?
    Yes you will need part #12...and a backrest of some type. It is my opinion that Ultimate is using a copy of the OEM...mine, I pick up from the metal shop on the 4th and then to Daytona to the poser coater....should/could be mailed by the 10 th with 2 day shipping...if all goes to plan....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com