ABS vs. other factors

Thread: ABS vs. other factors

ABS vs. other factors

Been watching some MCRider videos lately. Glad to see I do not possess any of the five bad habits he points out, or three deadly errors.

I did watch his video on ABS and he threw out some stats that set my face to "stun". I later confirmed those stats are valid.

Bikes with ABS have 20% fewer reported fatalities vs. the same bike without ABS. That number jumps to 31% with linked brakes, again, same year, make, model comparing ABS to non-ABS equipped cycles.

Admittedly, while on a 115 mile ride through the Finger Lakes yesterday, I was thinking about trading in the F6 for either a Gold Wing with ABS, or another cruiser type with anti-lockers.

First, I would lose my ass on trade in, getting $10k if I am lucky, but that is a different story.

Second, what about the other factors that make a bike safe?

1. Gold Wing models have "lane presence". They are big, wide bikes and are easy to see. My wife confirmed this yesterday while we were in the car with oncoming traffic. She noted a yellow Wing coming at us and pointed it out. She doesn't ride. I asked, "what made you notice the Wing?" She said it's wide, and the running lights on the mirrors make it "show up". She also said the yellow color makes it more visible. She said other bikes are very narrow and hard to see.

Does a Chieftain have lane presence? IMO, yes, but not as much. It has the two fog lights on either side of the headlight, and the fork mounted fairing gives it some width. I think Wings stand out more though, probably more than any other bike besides a Spyder.

For the record, the low mounted fog lights on Wings, particularly the bright LED ones, make the bike quite a bit more noticeable.

2. Gold Wings can handle. I feel more comfortable making an evasive maneuver on a Wing vs. the other two cruisers I used to own with their longer rake and a seating position that puts you in a less aggressive posture. Let some rhythm into your body with a little cheek-to-cheek and the handling is a thing of beauty.

3. Wings have big mirrors. This under appreciated safety feature was something I noticed when I was deciding between the 6 and the CC Tour, which has tiny mirrors, a high fairing, and a bathtub seating position.

All this being said, when a deer runs out in front of you, those brakes will lock and the big bike will get squirrely under you, as happened to be last summer. I understand practicing threshold braking and all that, which I do (but not enough), but when you are 50 feet from the right front fender of a Caravan at 50 mph, or a deer in front of you, managing that fear of what this could look like in a second or two goes beyond any informal training.

I think I will stick it out with the 6, for all the reasons above, but next bike will have ABS. It has become a non-negotiable.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Lightbulb

I don't disagree with size matters, but a HD or Indian bagger are roughly as long and wide as the B. There just isn't the extra plastic around the engine to make them bulkier. When i brought the B home, my wife commented how her ass looked wide. I measured the B & my road glide. They are identical. The front fairing on the RG was wider unless you add the mirrors on the B, then she won by a couple inches.

I do like a good abs & linked brakes are nice too! I've been contemplating looking as well, but for different reasons. But, I'll wait till the 18's are announced, including mother Honda to see if there's something I can't live without!

Mike

"All this being said, when a deer runs out in front of you, those brakes will lock and the big bike will get squirrely under you, as happened to be last summer. I understand practicing threshold braking and all that, which I do (but not enough), but when you are 50 feet from the right front fender of a Caravan at 50 mph, or a deer in front of you, managing that fear of what this could look like in a second or two goes beyond any informal training."

I don't mean to be a smart ass or anything like that, but.....
    You know when you've practiced enough when it becomes your natural reaction. If you have to think in order to perform the maneuver correctly then you haven't practiced enough.

For the record, I don't practice any motorcycle maneuvers beyond hard acceleration, leaning into corners, and grinning like a fool. As a brainwashed ex-member of the military, I understand the point of repetitive practice. If you're locking 'em up when in trouble, you haven't practiced enough to brainwash yourself. Practice replaces bad habits with good habits.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    I don't disagree with size matters, but a HD or Indian bagger are roughly as long and wide as the B. There just isn't the extra plastic around the engine to make them bulkier. When i brought the B home, my wife commented how her ass looked wide. I measured the B & my road glide. They are identical. The front fairing on the RG was wider unless you add the mirrors on the B, then she won by a couple inches.

I do like a good abs & linked brakes are nice too! I've been contemplating looking as well, but for different reasons. But, I'll wait till the 18's are announced, including mother Honda to see if there's something I can't live without!

Mike
    Yep, me too. The thing is, we got such good deals on these as leftovers, that their value continues to drop. Trade in on mine is about $9000-10,000 tops. I paid $14,500 in 2015, plus have added several hundred dollars in accessories. Not worth it to me to trade for awhile. Besides, I like the damn bike.

As for what you said about width, yes, I know the actual measurement are basically the same as any bagger. I took measurements on the CC Tour and it is only an inch or two narrower than the F6. I did this while considering both bikes and garage space in the winter, when I put my car inside. Here's the deal though...several people (non-riders) have told me the Wings look wider. When probed for details, they say it is the running lights on the mirrors that create that perception. The fog lamps down low also contribute.

The ass end is a lot of plastic, like some women in Hollywood, but that also serves as a visual aid, making these rigs more obvious.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6