Lighting upgrade - all in one thread...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting upgrade - all in one thread...

Lighting upgrade - all in one thread...

So I just got my 6 about 1.5 weeks ago. I've done some searching in the forums, but information is all over the place, and more about how great these mods are, not necessarily what parts are needed in actuality.

This is what I want to do.

Upgrade headlight to LED (Value Accessories part 226-0054)
    Upgrade brake and rear turns to LED (VA part #7443RL or 7443A/7443R)
    Add headlight modulator (Kissan part # P115W-D)
    Add brake "flasher" (VA part # 28-01001)

My questions are these.

Headlight...one set of Pathfinder LED headlight kits or two? I'm used to my VTX that has one lamp, not 4. Since there are 4 lamps there, do I need 2 sets? And if so, what is the point of 4 lamps if two work as low and two work as high? Or do the new lamps go in the center as they are the low and stay on for high?

Headlight modulator, only need one that connects as master/slave setup for the dual headlights. Unless I'm way off here.

I know I need to replace the flasher for the turn signals, that's not an issue. But Value Accessories has two different 7443 lamps for tail lights. One is $20 each, the other is $7.95 each. The $7.95 one looks like it MAY be for the turn signal replacement as it possibly is red as a running light, then goes amber as a flasher (or the other way around?). Or do I just buy 2 of the red at $20ea and 2 of the amber at $20ea?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
    Hoff aka Brian
    2016 F6B Deluxe in Matte White

Brian.....

I'd order a pair of these for the rear brake light......Ebay has them. Mine should be here in 2 days.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7...g-brake-lights

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...00022&_sacat=0

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    Brian.....

I'd order a pair of these for the rear brake light......Ebay has them. Mine should be here in 2 days.

So those remove the need for the brake flasher. But they only flash 3 times right? The don't repeat the sequence as long as you hold the brake like the flasher does.
    Hoff aka Brian

You are most likely correct from what I see on the video. You can always tap the brakes repeatedly a few seconds apart for each 3 flash sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoff View Post
    So those remove the need for the brake flasher. But they only flash 3 times right? The don't repeat the sequence as long as you hold the brake like the flasher does.
    Yes they do - at 60 second intervals.

I have the superbrights installed and I have tested them. If your brakes are applied without interruption, they flash every 60 seconds.

-----> http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7...g-brake-lights

You need two sets, Low and High. A lot of people only replace the Low beams, but the high beams work incredible at night and can be seen about 1/2 mile away in the daytime. I can not imagine needing a headlight modulator if running the High Beam LED's during the daytime. We have people all the time comment on the Pathfinder LED Headlights on our F6B.

On the Red LED's for the rear. We sell the cheaper version mostly for other bikes. The LED's are behind a red lens that seems to be a little more difficult to see red through then normal red lenses. We have tried multiple bulbs on our F6B and the only bulbs to use are the Pathfinder unless you just want to go with a white LED behind the Red Lens. The Pathfinder are very bright and look great, expensive but far better then anything else.
    The BackOff XP works great. With dual bulbs the BackOff WigWag I think gets people's attention a little better and is what we installed on our F6B. We have used all of the BackOff units. The WigWag Emits 4 alternating quick flashes of the left and right brake lights, followed by 3 short flashes and 1 long flash (3.5 seconds) of both brakes lights. The 3 short flashes and 1 long flash pattern automatically repeats itself as long as the brakes are held.

Hope that helps.
    Rick

So I just got my 6 about 1.5 weeks ago. I've done some searching in the forums, but information is all over the place, and more about how great these mods are, not necessarily what parts are needed in actuality.

This is what I want to do.

Upgrade headlight to LED (Value Accessories part 226-0054)
    Upgrade brake and rear turns to LED (VA part #7443RL or 7443A/7443R)
    Add headlight modulator (Kissan part # P115W-D)
    Add brake "flasher" (VA part # 28-01001)

My questions are these.

Headlight...one set of Pathfinder LED headlight kits or two? I'm used to my VTX that has one lamp, not 4. Since there are 4 lamps there, do I need 2 sets? And if so, what is the point of 4 lamps if two work as low and two work as high? Or do the new lamps go in the center as they are the low and stay on for high?

Headlight modulator, only need one that connects as master/slave setup for the dual headlights. Unless I'm way off here.

I know I need to replace the flasher for the turn signals, that's not an issue. But Value Accessories has two different 7443 lamps for tail lights. One is $20 each, the other is $7.95 each. The $7.95 one looks like it MAY be for the turn signal replacement as it possibly is red as a running light, then goes amber as a flasher (or the other way around?). Or do I just buy 2 of the red at $20ea and 2 of the amber at $20ea?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Brian.....

I've had these for just over 1 year and they work excellent. I thought one burnt out but it just popped out of it's housing, popped it back in and still going strong.
    a great upgrade and a cheap one too.

Brian.....

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    I've had these for just over 1 year and they work excellent. I thought one burnt out but it just popped out of it's housing, popped it back in and still going strong.
    a great upgrade and a cheap one too.
    I just put a pair in last week.
    And yes, one fell out into the lens while I was riding with Walcrow in Dallas.
    Took 10 minutes to secure it back in place (5 min of that was trying to locate my dad's socket set....)
    Bright and flashy, but not annoyingly so to the person who is stuck behind you at a 3 minute stoplight.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by rickw View Post
    You need two sets, Low and High. A lot of people only replace the Low beams, but the high beams work incredible at night and can be seen about 1/2 mile away in the daytime. I can not imagine needing a headlight modulator if running the High Beam LED's during the daytime. We have people all the time comment on the Pathfinder LED Headlights on our F6B.

On the Red LED's for the rear. We sell the cheaper version mostly for other bikes. The LED's are behind a red lens that seems to be a little more difficult to see red through then normal red lenses. We have tried multiple bulbs on our F6B and the only bulbs to use are the Pathfinder unless you just want to go with a white LED behind the Red Lens. The Pathfinder are very bright and look great, expensive but far better then anything else.
    The BackOff XP works great. With dual bulbs the BackOff WigWag I think gets people's attention a little better and is what we installed on our F6B. We have used all of the BackOff units. The WigWag Emits 4 alternating quick flashes of the left and right brake lights, followed by 3 short flashes and 1 long flash (3.5 seconds) of both brakes lights. The 3 short flashes and 1 long flash pattern automatically repeats itself as long as the brakes are held.

Hope that helps.
    Rick
    It does, thank you.

So your recommendation is:
    2 x Pathfinder LED headlights - $220
    2 x Pathfinder LED red brake lights - $40
    2 x Pathfinder LED amber turn lights - $40 (could do 4 to do the front, but front turn signals are not as much of a concern as rear)
    BackOff XP - $36.95
    Of course I need the LED flasher for $29.95 as well.

Sound about right?
    Hoff aka Brian

It does, thank you.

So your recommendation is:
    2 x Pathfinder LED headlights - $220
    2 x Pathfinder LED red brake lights - $40
    2 x Pathfinder LED amber turn lights - $40 (could do 4 to do the front, but front turn signals are not as much of a concern as rear)
    BackOff XP - $36.95
    Of course I need the LED flasher for $29.95 as well.

Sound about right?
    That will work. Just about everyone that converts to LED's in the front turn signals goes with Clear or Light Smoke Lenses at the same time. Then about half go with the Switchback Bulbs.

If you are feeling a little more ambitious you could also convert your Rear Turn Signals into running and turn.
    http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9...ight-modulator
    I did this on my own F6B, i really like it. If you scroll down the posts she even tells you where she purchased the bulbs and sockets from.