Hi honey we're home

Thread: Hi honey we're home

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I may be wrong but isn't it true that the first oil change shud be done at 500 miles. I've done that on all new motorcycles. When I bought f6B I was talking to the service manager about first service and I told him I'll be back at 4 k. But he told me first service has to be done at 500 miles. And after that every 4k miles. I had paid for 3 yrs service when I bought the bike. So obviously he was not going to make any money off me by asking me to come early on oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    I may be wrong but isn't it true that the first oil change shud be done at 500 miles. I've done that on all new motorcycles. When I bought f6B I was talking to the service manager about first service and I told him I'll be back at 4 k. But he told me first service has to be done at 500 miles. And after that every 4k miles. I had paid for 3 yrs service when I bought the bike. So obviously he was not going to make any money off me by asking me to come early on oil change.
    People here are saying first service at 4k. That's how I read my manual too.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Injun Joe View Post
    People here are saying first service at 4k. That's how I read my manual too.
    If you actually go to the maintenance schedule chart in your owner's manual it says the first oil change is at 600miles/1000 kms. and the next change is at 8000 miles/12000 kms.
    This was taken off the American Owner's Manual.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Exploring the world, one road at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
    If you actually go to the maintenance schedule chart in your owner's manual it says the first oil change is at 600miles/1000 kms. and the next change is at 8000 miles/12000 kms.
    This was taken off the American Owner's Manual.
    You boys in Canada must have a different version of the owners manual. I just checked mine again and it clearly states that the oil change interval is 4K and ever 8K thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    You boys in Canada must have a different version of the owners manual. I just checked mine again and it clearly states that the oil change interval is 4K and ever 8K thereafter.
    I stand corrected. Somebody on this forum recently posted a PDF version of the owners manual. This is where I got the information from. This morning I did a search on the forum to locate that post so I could verify the numbers. To my surprise there have been several posts about this issue and it seems that there are different schedules for different countries. One member said that outside the USA oil change intervals are much longer because Europeans tend to prefer longer intervals because it cuts down on maintenance costs. If you use a synthetic oil then 8000 or 10,000 mile intervals are perfectly fine as the oil holds up much better. People have always said that frequent oil changes is cheap insurance but with today's oils it really isn't necessary as we see with much longer manufacturers oil change intervals. I'm not sure if this will work but I will attempt to paste a link to a previous post on this topic.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2...USA-vs-Foreign

Bottom line, this topic is quite individual and we tend to change our oil based on what we've always done before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Exploring the world, one road at a time.

Dealer told me 4000 miles when I picked it up. Will be doing my own oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    Honda recommends first service at 4K and every 8K thereafter for oil changes. It's in your owners manual. If you already prepaid for the services and your dealer wants to do it earlier then no harm done. Lots of folks change the oil earlier out of habit.