3.2 EBDI (Do not read if you hate Ethanol!!!)

Thread: 3.2 EBDI (Do not read if you hate Ethanol!!!)

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar

3.2 EBDI (Do not read if you hate Ethanol!!!)

Sounds like an engine design that can take advantage of Ethanol's octane rating,,,

3.2 liter,,,,

http://articles.sae.org/7656/

According to Beazley, Ricardo’s testbed engines have produced more than 450 peak hp (336 kW) and 664 lb•ft (900 N•m) peak torque at 35-bar brake mean-effective pressure (BMEP), when running on E85. The testbed engine runs 140-bar (2030 psi) peak cylinder pressures.

Performance on straight gasoline is equally impressive, yielding more than 400 hp (298 hp) and 572 lb•ft (775 N•m) peak torque at 30-bar BMEP.

“We actually hit 825 N•m (1118 lb•ft) at 1600 rpm during testing of the gasoline version,” Beazley revealed. “We’re trading off boost and compression ratio, so we’re going to raise the comp ratio and reduce the boost in order to get more fuel economy on E85.”

The EBDI V6 in fully dressed form weighs 450-500 lb (204-227-kg) less than a fully dressed 6.6-L Duramax V8, without counting the diesel’s extensive SCR-based aftertreatment suite introduced for 2011 models. Ricardo engineers note the holistic benefits to vehicle curb weight and driving dynamics offered by the much lighter ethanol V6.

Ricardo engineers said the EBDI V6 would cost about $4500 more than a typical 6.0-L gasoline V8 as installed in a heavy-duty pickup (technically a medium-duty vehicle). But it would also undercut the approximately $8000 price of the current diesel option by an estimated $3500, based on current production volumes in the heavy-duty segment.

“Through the EBDI technology we’ve closed the gap in the energy content of a gallon of ethanol vs. gasoline, the 33% delta,” Beazley noted. “We recover the initial investment in the diesel engine and its aftertreatment. The thermal efficiency of ethanol is as high, or higher, than diesel. And the cost of ethanol at the pump is lower than gasoline.”

He said the EBDI vehicle test program will evaluate performance using various ethanol fuel blends. “We think there’s a blend compromise somewhere between E35 and E50 that gives good performance with good fuel economy, and will prove the cost-competitiveness of this technology.”

IMHO, running E-85 in a 'regular' gas engine modified to run Ethanol is a 'functional misapplication'. It 'works', but isn't optimal.

The engine in the article appears to be designed for Ethanol, with the capability to run gasoline,,, If it can bridge the '33% Delta' mentioned in the article, it would be a game changer.

Multiple locations sell E-85 here in Houston. Best price I've seen is $2.50/gal at Kroger. 87 is around $3, Diesel $3.50+

Diesel in Orlando is currently $4.00....give or take on the day of the week..... gotta love taxes.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I've been considering a small diesel,,, My needs really aren't a perfect 'fit' for diesel, but they do have some advantages.

Diesel fueling is / can be pretty nasty. The pumps down here are always pretty grimy,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    I've been considering a small diesel,,, My needs really aren't a perfect 'fit' for diesel, but they do have some advantages.

Diesel fueling is / can be pretty nasty. The pumps down here are always pretty grimy,,,
    I agree, Scott! There are some advantages like long engine life and great fuel mileage. Diesel in NC is running around $3.75/gal. right now. My wife's Jetta TDI gets up to around 42 mpg on the highway and has a range of up to 600 miles. As far as nasty fueling...the stations I frequent provide plastic gloves and that helps a lot. On the downside, I have to change the fuel filter every 20K miles but that's not too bad a job. Otherwise, service is not too different from gas engines.

There does seem to be some concern about the ultra-low sulfur fuel providing good lubrication to the fuel pumps (pumps are lubricated by the fuel). BTW, there are 3 fuel pumps on the TDI engine. A lift pump in the tank, an intermediate pump, and a belt-driven high pressure pump. Believe it or not, that high pressure pump is providing up to 25,000 psi to the injectors . Just to further protect those pumps, I use an additive from Power Service which hopefully, will prevent that HP pump from "grenading". Talk about a bad day!
    Ken (Hornblower)

Notice they say "30% fuel economy improvements"... but do not specify what the improvement is relative to. This is 30% improved over the old flex fuel engines but not 30% better than gasoline. That's a shady way to present information; it's bordering on misinformation.