Is F6B a keeper? - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Is F6B a keeper?

Quote Originally Posted by HHB View Post
    II am disappointed to pay nearly $20 for a bike that has paint that will scratch at the slightest touch. I am disappointed that the helmet holder lock won't work and is going to have to be replaced and I've never even used it yet. The shorty windscreen that came standard on the bike was useless, so I bought the tall Honda windscreen. Imagine my further disappointment when I removed the front fairing pieces to install the taller windscreen and found lots of loose hardware, such as screws, that had only been started in their holes, but left untightened. And then there is that God-awful gear whine that is as annoying as hell! .
    It's funny that all of your "disappointments" have nothing to do with the ride, performance, or feel of the F6B.
    Selling a brand new bike because the paint MIGHT scratch if you're not careful?
    Selling a brand new bike because the helmet holder MIGHT need replacing?
    Selling a brand new bike because it has gear whine that should have been noticeable to you during a test ride before buying?

Either you're trolling, or you have no idea about what makes a bike a keeper or not.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    Sounds like the F6B is more bike than you can handle. Fairly common problem. Not sure why so many people buy the biggest bike they can find only to figure out it simply doesn't work for them.
    The F6B is cheaper by the pound than any other bike.

Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    The F6B is cheaper by the pound than any other bike.

That's a good way to look at it and when it fits just right it's hard to beat. The power, handling and comfort are second to none when it comes to big touring bikes. The paint is a bit soft and scratches easily, but I can always get it repainted down the road if needed and I'll still be ahead of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by HHB View Post
    Perhaps part of my problem is that I have always ridden sportbikes, my latest one being a 2008 Kawi ZX-14, but that is not the whole reason that I am so disappointed. bike that makes it totally unmanageable on my 1/4 mile long gravel driveway. It simply won't go in gravel and I'm having to park it in my barn which is close to a blacktop road.
    I also had a ZX-14 and sorry to disagree, but that is not a 'sportbike'. It's more like a 'superbike'. It's also a great 'sport tour' bike with some soft luggage on it. However, after 3 tickets in one year, it was becoming a problem.

The F6B is a big heavy bike. The fixed fairing gives you a psychological disconnect from the road. However, it does handle well! You gotta have faith! Go ahead and lean it over in a curve, and lo and behold it won't fall over! There are videos on Youtube of full Wings leaned over farther than many sportbikes and we don't even have a trunk. But if you were happy with your ZX, not sure why you didn't get a similar bike like an FJR, Concours, maybe a BMW K1300?

As for gravel, nobody likes to ride in gravel, but you should not assume the F6B will just flop over at a moment's notice. Again, I think the weight and girth are intimidating you. There is a skill to riding in gravel, and the F6B will handle it as well as most bikes, maybe better with it's longer wheelbase.

My advice is to keep it a while longer and give it a chance. I know the first time I took my F6B through some twisties, I was thinking 'OMG, I'm going down!' but I had seen and heard about how well Wings handle, and sure enough everything was fine. Now I just basically throw the bike into a curve, and it almost seems to handle things on its own. Just don't panic and hit the brake. As far as your other issues go, not sure about that, bad PDI possibly?
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    It's funny that all of your "disappointments" have nothing to do with the ride, performance, or feel of the F6B.
    Selling a brand new bike because the helmet holder MIGHT need replacing?
    Selling a brand new bike because it has gear whine that should have been noticeable to you during a test ride before buying?

Either you're trolling, or you have no idea about what makes a bike a keeper or not.
    Actually his experience aside, I think he is a legit owner. The shop down the street from me said they sold one to someone that was coming from a Kawasaki sport bike. The bike he bought , I believe, was a trade they did from another dealer. The trade was for a particular side by side ATV and included taking the F6B in the deal.The dealer got the bike in on Friday,and on Saturday it sold to someone who just happened to come in asking for a F6B.

MmmHmm... definitely a keeper.

The F6B isn't for everybody. And sometimes those people buy one.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I am disappointed that the helmet holder lock won't work and is going to have to be replaced and I've never even used it yet

I got a crisp 20 that says the helmet lock ain't broke,,,,

But, if he's sellin it, no reason fer me ta tell him about the button,,,

HHB,
    I am sorry you spent your hard earned money on something that does not please you or isn't what you thought it would be.
    I still have my 1000 Hurricane parked beside my F6B. Most of my buddies thought I would sell it,most of my Gold Wing friends cant understand why I would keep the 'Cane.
    They are two different bikes,man. Designed to do something different.
    Granted I have to wax the h3!! out of my big black dragon,just rode her in the rain today so back to it again tomorrow.
    My point is I love both my bikes and the difference.
    On the handling issue,I am used to my 'Cane in the twisties,right? So I found myself dragging my toes riding the F6B in the twisties. Once you get over the mental thing of how big it is and just ride it it will lean and carve amazingly !..And pull out of curves,most of the time without downshifting to find power.
    Neither of my bikes like gravel and they deal with it differently too. The 'Cane is twitchy and you need a steady hand and full attention. The Wing,just ride it on your course. I will admit stopping it and slow ,stop and go in gravel brings pucker moments but once it's moving,no problem.I rode today with a buddy that has a long ,uphill ,single car gravel driveway.I am still wondering what I was thinking to pull up in there,but I made it.Point and shoot man..
    I hope you find what you'r looking for, just thought I'd give some perspective since I can relate directly to what you are probably feeling since I own both types of bike and switch back and forth.
    Give the F6B a shot,ride it,forget about how big it is.
    And if you dont like it, I'll bet you wont have much trouble finding someone that would love it at used prices.
    The original question, Is this bike a keeper? ABSOLUTELY!I am not thinking about trading, selling,or parting with it.It is a wonderful thing....I think the only thing better than having one...is to have two of them.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar

Wouldn't be the first time,,,

Another member here sold his near new 6,,, believe it was last spring,,,,,, "Wasn't going to be Honda's paint Bi-atch" was one phrase,,, I believe Mamma wasn't real happy with the back seat either,,,

Here in the last month or so, the same feller bought his same bike back. Not a different F6B, mind you,,, the exact same F6B he traded in last spring,,,

Sometimes, truth IS strange than fiction,,,,,,,,,