Is F6B a keeper? - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Is F6B a keeper?

LOL. I would call that person impetuous

People should understand that some manufacturers prefer using hard paint, and others make theirs rather soft. This isn't some kind of oversight or defect; it's a design decision. Unless they're up to speed on OEM paint, chances are 50-50 that their next vehicle will be just as soft.

The British and Japanese generally go soft; soft paint does not chip easily and is easily corrected. Germans are notorious for using HARD paint that resists scratches but is a bitch to correct and is fairly brittle (chips easily).

Quote Originally Posted by HHB View Post
    I bought a new F6B on September 10, 2014 and I have never been more disappointed with a new bike in my 35 years of riding. After 18 days of ownership, it's going to be finding a new home this week. Perhaps part of my problem is that I have always ridden sportbikes, my latest one being a 2008 Kawi ZX-14, but that is not the whole reason that I am so disappointed. I am disappointed to pay nearly $20 for a bike that has paint that will scratch at the slightest touch. I am disappointed that the helmet holder lock won't work and is going to have to be replaced and I've never even used it yet. The shorty windscreen that came standard on the bike was useless, so I bought the tall Honda windscreen. Imagine my further disappointment when I removed the front fairing pieces to install the taller windscreen and found lots of loose hardware, such as screws, that had only been started in their holes, but left untightened. And then there is that God-awful gear whine that is as annoying as hell! I bought the deluxe Honda helmet headset and right out of the box, the first time I turned it on, the left speaker buzzes like a bee in my ear. And then, there is the heft of this bike that makes it totally unmanageable on my 1/4 mile long gravel driveway. It simply won't go in gravel and I'm having to park it in my barn which is close to a blacktop road. So, as you can see, my experience with the F6B has been a total disappointment. I plan on trading it off this week as I have to have a bike that I can ride without all these problems. It's just not fun to ride! Through the years I've owned Suzukis, Kawasakis, and Yamahas... all of which have never given me a bit of trouble. This is my first Honda and it will be my last. Yes, I hate this bike and can't see it leave my garage soon enough! Honda Motors, you should be ashamed. Thanks for listening to me complain guys; I certainly wish my experience with the F6B could have been different. Peace everybody, HHB.

Hey HHB,

Thank you for your opinion on the F6B. I have always been taking great care of my bikes, and it is to say the least, is upsetting to have things break. The paint issue is a known problem discussed in this forum on the multiple occasions. I believe an easy solution recommended by a member in one of the posts is to apply few coats of "Liquid Glass". It is relatively inexpensive under 20 bucks investment to protect a 20K machine. The speaker's buzzing and helmet set problem should be covered under warranty, I believe its 3 years and should be at no cost to the owner if I am not mistaken. I don't know about riding on a gravel, perhaps different tires will help. Perhaps someone might have a solution in this forum.

One thing I noticed browsing a forum is a relatively small number of complaints about technical issues. To me its a huge deal. My last ride was a large 9ft Big Dog v-twin chopper style bike, in the last 2 years I only put on it 1,000 miles and I had it towed to a shop at least 4-5 times due to various issues, mostly mechanical and some electrical problems that cost several thousand dollars to fix. Also, dealer support was non-existent, no warranty whatsoever. At some point I didn't care how great bike looked, I just got tired of seeing it on the back of the flatbed or at the shop on a lift.

Glad that I asked the question to hear so many opinions on the F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
    I always rode a cruiser. The biggest change I noticed was riding position. The cruisers I rode had forward controls, the B has my feet almost directly under me. My old body didn't really care for that change. I could see people not liking that change and going back to the other position.

But I never rode the kind of miles I ride now. Truthfully, I could see me buying a full wing, black, of course AND keeping my B. The experience of owning this bike has been amazing. I can't stop anywhere with out someone asking questions about it and complimenting.

Most of the HD riders I know, pay dearly for the name. Then pay for mechanical parts to make the bike go and stop fast. And a few of them that drive their bikes hard have had bad luck.
    The Wing's unlimited miles 3 year warrantee speaks to the proven durability of the drivetrain. The power and handling were surprising to me.

I want to be different. I like that.
    To me, loud doesn't mean cool. A monster bike, snapping through the twisties of "the Dragon" two up, after a 1000 mile ride to get there... that's cool. Riding to the top of MT Washington, with all its beauty, and having people taking pictures of my bike... that's cool.

I just don't see many Wings being worked on in my travels. If they are stopped, someone's having coffee... that's cool.

But I'm different.
    To me, getting back to what I think of as a "normal" riding position was one of the huge thrills of the F6B. Not that there is anything wrong with the stretched out cruiser position. I enjoy that as well, but there was just something about riding what I knew as a regular motorcycle again.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
    I always rode a cruiser. The biggest change I noticed was riding position. The cruisers I rode had forward controls, the B has my feet almost directly under me. My old body didn't really care for that change. I could see people not liking that change and going back to the other position.

But I never rode the kind of miles I ride now. Truthfully, I could see me buying a full wing, black, of course AND keeping my B. The experience of owning this bike has been amazing. I can't stop anywhere with out someone asking questions about it and complimenting.

Most of the HD riders I know, pay dearly for the name. Then pay for mechanical parts to make the bike go and stop fast. And a few of them that drive their bikes hard have had bad luck.
    The Wing's unlimited miles 3 year warrantee speaks to the proven durability of the drivetrain. The power and handling were surprising to me.

I want to be different. I like that.
    To me, loud doesn't mean cool. A monster bike, snapping through the twisties of "the Dragon" two up, after a 1000 mile ride to get there... that's cool. Riding to the top of MT Washington, with all its beauty, and having people taking pictures of my bike... that's cool.

I just don't see many Wings being worked on in my travels. If they are stopped, someone's having coffee... that's cool.

But I'm different.
    I was talking to an older gentleman one evening in a bar. He had multiple motorcycles over his life and he told me that foot position was the difference between all day in the saddle and a few hrs. When your feet are stretched out in front of you it is your lower back that takes the shock of the road all day but when your feet are below you it is the back of your thighs taking the shock. Makes sense to me cause my previous bikes were cruisers and my legs were stretched out. And after a while my lower back was killing me. I feel I could ride the f6 for a lot longer than any other cruiser I have owned. I thought that guy was drinking too much crown that night but turns out in my case it was all so true

I've taken my F6B down gravel roads that turn and change elevation pretty steeply. Being cautious, I found no issues. Granted, it doesn't feel as planted as my Valkyrie( a similarly big motorcycle) on such roads.I think part of that is the rake,handle bars and front tire size being wider on the Valk.

I don't get the gravel complaint...at least no more than any other bike. I mean my a$$ puckers up as well when I am on gravel or those d@mn sections of pavement that are ground down or bridge decks made out of steel grating.

However on the coast to coast trip I did this summer my travelling partner wanted to visit an amethyst mine on the north shore of Lake Superior. It started out as a paved road but of the 11 km into the mine (six mile for you yanks) 7 km was gravel and one bloody great hill of loose gravel that had just been replaced due to washouts. Was I impressed with getting sucked into 7 k of gravel?....no, I wasn't but the F6B was darned stable even on the hill. And believe me the hill is something I would have shifted into 4 wheel just to avoid spinning if I was in a cage.

The only complaint I had after getting back to the highway 22km (14 km on gravel) was all the dirt kicked back on the front motor cover and a small handful up around the triple tree pocket in the fairing.

Defiantly not a trail bike...Defiantly a big and heavy stable platform....defiantly a keeper.

tink

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerman View Post
    11 km into the mine (six mile for you yanks)
    Defiantly not a trail bike...Defiantly a big and heavy stable platform....defiantly a keeper.
    You can thank Jimmy Carter for that... I do most things with a motorcycle that normal people don't do. I have not had a problem with gravel, or rain, Or wheelies, or burnouts, or running on a track.

This bike was not designed for track use, but it's design makes track use alot of fun.
    Eh, Different strokes......

I've got a 1/8 mile gravel driveway run with elevation changes (the kind that my cage can get stuck on in the winter) to get to the pavement and the only thing that comes to my mind every time I leave home or come back on the F6B is how much more pleasant it is than on the HD.
    '88 FLST
    '95 Ducati 916
    '04 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
    '06 FLHX
    '09 Buell 1125R
    '13 F6B
    '17 BMW R Nine T Racer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You wanna sell it?

HOW MUCH?

if you hate it that much, post it up... I know a few guys who'd love to get a deal on a used F6B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2013 F6B Black
    Buell Lightning S1
    DR400sm
    Qlink Sumo

Love mine and plan on riding it till duct tape and bailing wire wont hold her together anymore.

I dont have the paint issue but do have the cold engine hesitation - I just let her warm up and no hesitation. I knew there was no cruise and dont care about it. A throttle lock works fine. I do wish there were more seat options, but its not a deal killer.

Handling at all speeds is great, especially in the twisties. Low speeds took practice, but its not too hard to get used to. I went from a 624 pound VT1100T to the F6b. No problem.