Is F6B a keeper? - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Is F6B a keeper?

absolutely a keeper

you c an have my f6b when you twist it out of my cold dead fingers........or when some thing better comes along......I would never compromise my thirst for performance by purchasing less.........American v twins just don't cut it for me no more ......had my share ....wrapping planned obsolescence in the American flag is a suckers game.....paint problem got you down ???? spray that flat six with a garden hose ,let it dry over night .....hit the road before the sun rises, smile on your face...."lookin for adventure in whatever comes your way".....wake up America "the titanic sails at dawn".................hope to see you on the mountain .......later......red dog.........

Seat removal for the new Mustang seat

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    When I had my seat modified, the bolts no longer aligned. Took forever to figure out how to install the modified seat.

In any case, one thumb screw is easier than 6 or 10 bolts requiring tools.
    It did take me a while to get the Mustang seat to fit properly, but it was all worth the effort. Once I figured out the plastic seat pan was going to have to flex to make it work right, I used a a couple of drifts to align the new bolts in a cross pattern, then it went right on. I have not taken it off since, but I bet the problem is fixed by just riding it and letting it settle into it's proper alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    And the reality to all this is.....HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU REMOVE THE SEAT??? If I liked or disliked a bike by the number of bolts holding on the seat, I think I'd quit.
    I can only think of one person in this forum that would trade the F6B due to minor annoyances like seat removal or for instance the helmet lock not locking.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never trade in my F6B for anything! I was just comparing two bikes across a variety of functions from a neutral standpoint. The honest truth is that it's easier to do simple things things to a Street Glide than to an F6B. You have to partially disassemble the F6B to do simple things -- and it just wasn't necessary for Honda to design it that way. It was one of the first things I noticed after making the switch.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never trade in my F6B for anything! I was just comparing two bikes across a variety of functions from a neutral standpoint. The honest truth is that it's easier to do simple things things to a Street Glide than to an F6B. You have to partially disassemble the F6B to do simple things -- and it just wasn't necessary for Honda to design it that way. It was one of the first things I noticed after making the switch.
    I disagree with ya about simplicity. It's easier to change oil, and tires on the 6. You don't have to check belt tension with a shaft. In other words, routine maint. is easier than the HD. It has a centerstand too. Windshields and seats are a one time thing. Find what ya like, put it on and your done. I've owned way to many Harleys to say they are easier. The Honda is also easier to clean. In the time it takes to clean a street glide. I can have the above items done on my F6. To each his own, including opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Whaaaat? The 'B requires that the passenger grab rails be removed: 4 bolts. Then the 2 bolts that hold the seat in place. That's 6 bolts. If you have a Deluxe or have the optional backrest and/or carrier, that's another 4 bolts. So either 6 bolts minimum or 10 bolts maximum. If it takes you 30 minutes to do that, then you should get better tools. Sorry.
    +1^

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    I disagree with ya about simplicity. It's easier to change oil, and tires on the 6. You don't have to check belt tension with a shaft. In other words, routine maint. is easier than the HD. It has a centerstand too. Windshields and seats are a one time thing. Find what ya like, put it on and your done. I've owned way to many Harleys to say they are easier. The Honda is also easier to clean. In the time it takes to clean a street glide. I can have the above items done on my F6. To each his own, including opinions.
    +1. I've changed oil and tires on a lot of bikes. I do all my own work. The B is one of the simplest bikes I've ever done basic maintenance to. That rear tire change is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Is that necessary? Attack the post, not the poster.
    Otherwise, this forum will deteriorate down to the level of most other forums. I don't think anyone here would want that.
    The guy was obviously being facetious. Joke's on anyone who thinks he was serious with that mock story.
    Also, in TX we call an ass clown an ass clown

first of all...clutch is my wife.

Secondly, the point was that as the B is a great machine. It just has some differences in how its maintained. For example, the air cleaner is a bitch to get to. Its not better or worse, its just different. So, just keep the comments above board and not so damn hostile. We all have opinions, just find a way not to be a dick about it.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    When I had my seat modified, the bolts no longer aligned. Took forever to figure out how to install the modified seat.

In any case, one thumb screw is easier than 6 or 10 bolts requiring tools.
    My old Stratoliner was the easiest I've seen. Unlock it with the key,,, Pulled right off. It 'Clicked' back into place.

That's a bit odd that your MC modded seat was tougher to put back on,,, Maybe they changed it's profile / added some foam in an area?

Even an 100% OEM Wing seat isn't the easiest to put on,,, The good thing is, hopefully, one doesn't have to take it on and off much.