motorcycle trip to Alaska? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: motorcycle trip to Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by NCF6B View Post
    thanks, some great suggestions! My biggest concern is the pure physical endurance needed to complete this type of camping trip. Reading a lot about roads and facilities. Not exactly your "lower 48". Wife says if we don't make this trip soon probablywon't make it at all. We both really shun the typical cruise ship/railroad pre-fab tours. May make it easier but all you see is what everyone else has seen! I've run 5 Marathons and this is beginning to feel very much like the same thing. Our son said "hey dad, if it was easy everyone would do it"! Keep you posted on our plans.
    Check out the Avrider.com and the ST1300.com web sites. Plenty of them have done that trip and written about it

Great ride to Alaska...

Me and a friend rode to Alaska from Arkansas in '07, me on a 1200gs him on a F650...

Across Oklahoma up into Co. thru back roads, Royal Gorge, Yellowstone, Tetons,
    Glacier National Park, Calgary, Baniff, toward Jasper to Prince George then up the
    Cassare road... Thru the Yukon on into Tok...piece of pie...great adventure...

Quote Originally Posted by NCF6B View Post
    thanks, some great suggestions! My biggest concern is the pure physical endurance needed to complete this type of camping trip. Reading a lot about roads and facilities. Not exactly your "lower 48". Wife says if we don't make this trip soon probablywon't make it at all. We both really shun the typical cruise ship/railroad pre-fab tours. May make it easier but all you see is what everyone else has seen! I've run 5 Marathons and this is beginning to feel very much like the same thing. Our son said "hey dad, if it was easy everyone would do it"! Keep you posted on our plans.
    Go for it, I did it in 2011 on a 2010 C14-Ocala Florida to Alaska and back, slighly over 11,000 miles. Highlights for me included Beartooth Pass, Ice field parkway, Yellowstone and you can't go wrong anywhere you go in Alaska. Came back down the Pacific Coast and checked out Yosemite, Death Valley and Vegas. My advice is don't make any resevations unless there is some place in Alaska you don't want to miss. Don't carry extra gas, it's a hassle and I never came close to needing it. Ride every day until 2 ish and then decide how far you are going and use the internet to find a place to stay. I camped and stayed in hotels. Met tons of people and shared many interesting evenings swaping stories with others on the same trip. There are great campsites for RV's on the Alcan and they will let you throw up a tent for very little. Don't hurry lots of picture opportunities, wildlife etc. to see. Best trip of my life and I have been riding since 1976. Good Luck Almost forgot, get a copy of the current year "Milepost" and dont believe the stories about road condition. I only hit one bad spot where there was contruction, no huge pot holes or anything like that.

Rick's Motorcycle Alaska trip

You should google Rick's Alaska Motorcycle trip. There's 7 videos. Once you start watching Video 1 I bet you will not stop till you watch all 7. Very interesting and you will love it.