Alaska F6B riders - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alaska F6B riders

Quote Originally Posted by erazor55 View Post
    Bike44 - you go on with your bad self! Trade that HD and live the awesome life of riding on the F6B. After the last 10 years on HD, it's nice to get back on motorcycle that handles, and has copious amounts of power.
    I agreed beforehand, hence the 2012 FLSTN Softail Deluxe move for the F6B. It'll happen, just depends on if and when I can get a '13. If none available, then it's a '14. More this week.

I've had eight HD's out of the 43 scoots so far. They run and handle if enough $ is inserted in the right places...no complaints, and they're fun, especially when posing by reflective windows. Their resale is uncontested. I found that for me, the Softails were the the best all around performers of the HD's.

But you're exactly right, it'll be nice to have power again. I'm reading past posts on this fine Forum and waiting for the endless suspension threads to start...seems like the other Wing Forums all had their share of fear and loathing when it came to the Wing's handling. I'm not going down that road again, and will accept whatever it does and learn to live with it.

Some ??? above about the pavement to Alaska. I've not been down recently, but here's a comment: http://milepost.com/features/driving...ka_highwayfaq/ Others who have driven it may have better updates.

Ride to AK

Last time I came up the Alcan (1999), it was completely paved except for a couple places they were redoing the road.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaF6B View Post
    Last time I came up the Alcan (1999), it was completely paved except for a couple places they were redoing the road.
    I rode to Akaska in 2003...again in 2004, and again this past year in 2012. Everytime, I go UP the Cassiar Hwy, and come back on the Alcan, and I have never found it to be paved all the way. There are long stretches that are hard-packed gravel...or under construction...for miles and miles...and miles.

Alaska Roads

In the great WHITE north....you have 2 seasons, Winter and road construction season! That DEEP gravel is a real challenge to ride in.

My goal is to tour British Columbia next riding season on the F6B. A good friend and fellow HD Softail owner wants to go so we may do the Geezer Gang thing. Wife and dog disagree somewhat, but they'll have to cope.

The problem may be that we'll spend all our time slowly gabbing and gawking, like Seniors tend to do, instead of covering the miles in a few days. I have friends that make the Alaska to USA an annual two day event. I have no idea why, but getting somewhere is more important than enjoying the trip for some. Bluetooth coms or similar plus GoPro vids are in the plans.

The F6B will be a good ride if it works out. I considered taking my current Softail, but after making up a gear list, we realized someone would have to carry a big load as we plan to camp some. No room for lawn chairs on a Softail.

I've flown that route (Alaska and over BC) a few times, and the country is beautiful.

A recent report from visitors to Alaska that had a great time:

http://alaska1x.blogspot.com
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...9513950bcb22e6