Getting ready for the 2015's ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for the 2015's ?

Getting ready for the 2015's ?

Just get an email from Honda Motorsports, looks like they still have some 2013 F6B's they still need to clear out.
    I thought I got a good deal with $1,000.00 in Bonus Bucks, now they doubled it to $2,000.00
    That would pretty much take a standard up to a deluxe?
    Now it's a tough call to wait for the 2015 or get a great deal on a 2013 ?

Attachment 9638

... and it looks like Mother Honda is getting real aggressive on those who want to finance.
    0.40% Fixed APR on 2015 and Prior GL1800, Gold Wing F6B & Gold Wing Valkyrie

Attachment 9639

No '13's left in Canada. $2k off '14's and 1.9 % for 48 months.

Unless you got to have the new colors for 2015 I would go with a leftover 2013. What would the price be for a leftover 13? You could add a lot of extras and still be less than a new 15.

Circle-5
    The following link indicates the 2015 F6B Deluxe will have cruise control, reverse and C-ABS:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...F6B-Deluxe.htm

The important feature for me is ABS, which F6B models have had everywhere in the world, except in the U.S. However, my dealer says ABS is still only for high-end Gold Wings. If that is true, I'll probably get a Rocket 3 Touring instead, which is my second choice, and which comes standard with ABS. Does anybody know for sure why American Honda would choose NOT equip the 2015 F6B with ABS? Seems misguided ... Thank y'all for a great forum. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and this is my first post.

Totalmotorcycle.com is probably the most unreliable source of new bike info. They garner a bunch of info, throw it together, and neglect to tell the reader that different markets get different standard equipment.
    For the US, you get cruise and new pipes, no ABS and no reverse.
    In Canada, we get cruise, ABS, new pipes, no reverse, and no deluxe package.
    AFAIK, only Europe gets the reverse.

If you're after a Rocket III, I'd suggest looking at the Rocket III Roadster, and add the touring accessories to it. The Touring model is considerably detuned from the Roadster. If you get a chance, perhaps drive both before signing on the dotted line?

Circle-5
    Thanks for the info, bigbird. I understand the F6B has excellent brakes, but the lack of ABS in 2015 is unfortunate. So far, it's been impossible to rent or test ride a Rocket 3 in Los Angeles, but I definitely won't make a purchase decision without trying both (unless I can remember to win the lottery). The F6B is available for rent here for about $100/day, so that one's not going to be a problem. I already tried a Road King. It had a lot of character, but I didn't feel it would live up to its name -- no offense to Harley fans.

As for the R3 Touring, it's my understanding that re-mapping the ECU will bring back most of the R3 Roadster's performance in a few minutes with a laptop, because both bikes otherwise share the exact same engine. So that's probably the way to go if I pick Triumph, for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    The following link indicates the 2015 F6B Deluxe will have cruise control, reverse and C-ABS:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...F6B-Deluxe.htm

The important feature for me is ABS, which F6B models have had everywhere in the world, except in the U.S. However, my dealer says ABS is still only for high-end Gold Wings. If that is true, I'll probably get a Rocket 3 Touring instead, which is my second choice, and which comes standard with ABS. Does anybody know for sure why American Honda would choose NOT equip the 2015 F6B with ABS? Seems misguided ... Thank y'all for a great forum. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and this is my first post.
    I would not get "hung-up" on no ABS brakes on the F6B..Honda's linked brake system works just fine and many have no issues at all with stopping power...I traded a 2011 Victory Vision Tour with ABS for my F6B and I personally found no difference in the way the bike braked on slow or hard stops...I quess it depends on the riders desires and needs..I am not at all faulting ABS brakes on bikes as most newer ones have some form of it, but I would not let this issue be a deal breaker for me as my 2013 F6B stops fine without...Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post

As for the R3 Touring, it's my understanding that re-mapping the ECU will bring back most of the R3 Roadster's performance in a few minutes with a laptop, because both bikes otherwise share the exact same engine.
    It seems questionable to me that just an ECU remap can change the Touring's output from 105 HP to the Roadster's 146 HP, but I'll have to take your word for it, as I'm sure you've done your due diligence.

My question is, are you sure that both engines have the same compression ratio, cam profiles, intake, and exhaust systems?

The ECU can only alter the amount of fuel and the ignition timing. To choke the Touring model back to only 105 HP seems to me like it it would either have tremendous fuel economy, or run really poorly from ridiculously retarded ignition timing. OTOH, the Roadster could have very poor fuel consumption, and a bad case of detonation if its timing was so far advanced to produce that kind of HP.

Colour me very curious about the Rocket III engine.

My gawd man, don't get hung up on lack of ABS and miss out on one of the most incredible and legendary motorcycle experiences in existence.

Whether or not I have ABS on a vehicle I tone it down in the rain or if my tires are getting worn. Otherwise, grip the F6 brakes as hard as you like and you will stop on a dime with no lock up. Look at it this way, no ABS means one less system that can fail... and this may be why Honda didn't slap ABS on all GL1800's. Granted, ABS can be implemented reliably and robustly but simpler is always better when there isn't an absolute NEED for something. This is a serious long distance, high mileage, high reliability, low maintenance platform... that also serves brilliantly as an everyday commuter. Industrial grade, million mile capable.

The Rocket is a bike that I looked at and I lurked on the Triumph forums for a while before coming here. I saw guys there were having issues with intermittent rear-end lockup... and that scared me away. I'm not knocking the Triumph, I'm just saying I didn't want to live through the growing pains of that platform, which may or may not be around in five years. The GL1800 has had +10 years of working out the growing pains.

These are my biased two cents ... but in seriousness, too, if there was a better all-around motorcycle out there that HANDLED and PERFORMED as COMFORTABLY as the F6, I would certainly acknowledge that... but IMO there isn't.

Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    It seems improbable that just an ECU remap can change the Touring's output from 105 HP to the Roadster's 146 HP, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it.
    My question is, do both engines have the same compression ratio, cam profiles, intake, and exhaust systems?
    Yes, except for the exhaust. The ECU remap apparently takes you a good part of the way, to nearly 130 HP. To go all the way, a new exhaust is required (along with yet another ECU remap), which I probably won't need -- at least not right away. All this is according to R3Owner's forum posts. When compared to Honda, Triumph is a rather small manufacturer and the Rocket 3 is not a big seller (just a few hundred examples per year in the US) so a lot of commonality can be expected between variants.

The Rocket 3 and the F6B are very different machines. It's safe to say the F6B is more refined and probably more reliable. I'm only "hung up" on ABS because of a couple scares some years ago on my old BMW R90S. I believe ABS would have helped, but maybe not. However, ABS on bikes is here to stay, and I believe it's even mandated in some countries.

One last question: while it's not a deal-breaker for me, has the paint issue ever been addressed by Honda, or do we have to wait for the 2015s to see if it got better? There seems to be a variety of opinions on this topic. Thank you for your help!