I need advise on HB risers

Thread: I need advise on HB risers

Question I need advise on HB risers

I have about 4500 miles on mt F6...enough to know I need handle bar risers to move things back, closer to me, and upward, to get rid of minor shoulder blade discomfort on a 250 - 300 mile day.

I have read the posts here about choices....can't afford Helibars...so it looks like my choice is between the MBL set or the Kuryakyn kit....I have a Mustang seat on the bike....so I would really appreciate forum members with A. Mustang seats...B. height between 5'8''-5'9"...and normal to shorter arm length to give me some advise......

I think I can use all of 1.5 to 2.0 inches back and maybe an inch upward....don't know if a narrower bar span would help ....

If you got the time, a Mustang seat, are about 5'9" and normal length ? arms....I would like any advise.....Thanks

Steve

I did exactly what you are talking about doing, with the same seat !!! I really liked the effect and it worked out well for me !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by sshake1905 View Post
    I have about 4500 miles on mt F6...enough to know I need handle bar risers to move things back, closer to me, and upward, to get rid of minor shoulder blade discomfort on a 250 - 300 mile day.

I have read the posts here about choices....can't afford Helibars...so it looks like my choice is between the MBL set or the Kuryakyn kit....I have a Mustang seat on the bike....so I would really appreciate forum members with A. Mustang seats...B. height between 5'8''-5'9"...and normal to shorter arm length to give me some advise......

I think I can use all of 1.5 to 2.0 inches back and maybe an inch upward....don't know if a narrower bar span would help ....

If you got the time, a Mustang seat, are about 5'9" and normal length ? arms....I would like any advise.....Thanks

Steve
    I am just about on the same page...I have a Mustang seat, which is great, am about 5'9" and normal length arms, I think...I too get a little shoulder blade discomfort on longer rides....I really don't want to mess with the stock set-up much and Helibars are way to expensive and clumsy looking for me, and as I only ride about 100/150 miles at a time, are not worth the investment for me...My dealer who has some really good techs, etc. generally installs the Kuryakyn risers and claims most riders are very satisfied...I suppose the MBL ones are also okay as some like them fine,but I really don't know...If this minor back issue continues next riding season I think I will "pop" for the Kury risers and see how it goes...At 75 years old, I can't ride on long trips much anymore, anyhow, without stopping to stretch, so I am a little reluctant to spend a lot of money on expensive risers....Good Luck on your choice and ride safe

I have a Mustang seat and am of similar height. I had the MBL standard risers and they did work fairly well for me, but I was still getting some of the shoulder blade discomfort you are referring too. After a few thousand miles with the MBL risers I decided to bite the bullet and get the Helibars and now my shoulder pain is gone. I didn't want to spend the extra money at first, but am glad I did. Definitely try the risers first and maybe they will be the solution for you and you won't have to get the helibars.

Another option with more adjustability than the MBL or Kury risers are the Rocky risers. I would probably try those first if I was doing it again.

I guess I'll chime in here. I tried the Kury risers. I have a Corbin seat. After a long day in the saddle, I'd have shoulder pain that would last for days. It didn't keep me from going out riding, but after I would get past the 150 mile mark and beyond, I would start feeling it coming on. It really stunk, because otherwise, I really loved riding the F6B. I really didn't want to spend the money on the Helibars, but when it comes down to it, I figured something had to change so I pulled the trigger. What a difference. No more pain. My bike is so comfortable now. And to top it off, the Helibars really add to the handling when driving it hard into the corners, switching it back and forth through the mountains. I don't blame anyone for trying to get their comfort issue handled through the much less expensive risers out there, but for me I now have a set of Kury risers that I am not using. If I had known about them before buying the Kury risers, I would've tried the Rock risers instead. However, I think the shoulder issue has more to do with the grip angle than just the rise and pull back reach. The Helibars are the only way I know of to manipulate that.