I must be getting older

Thread: I must be getting older

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDawg View Post
    I give years of working the flight line credit for my Tinnitus. I did start wearing ear plugs when I started where a half shell. I have had some extreamlt loud bikes but I think the wind noise permitted by a half shell that does more damage than the loud pipes.
    I recently had my hearing checked and my Dr. suggested ear plugs regardless of pipes...He is also a long time rider and says he has gathered a lot of data than indicates wind noise and other sounds coming from the highway are far more damaging to ones ears than loud pipes, as a lot of the noise from pipes is behind the riders ears to a point....This is the second Dr. that has told me the same thing, that wind noise can cause far more damage to hearing than loud pipes, especially if you ride on the super-slab without a windshield, helmet or something to diminish wind noise.....No opinion, just repeating what I was told......My Dad never rode a motorcycle in his life, but his hearing went bad in his 70's from jet engines taking off and landing on the Naval base he worked on in California for over 20 years....Go figure....

I find myself wearing ear protection with my full face, I feel less fatigued after a long ride.
    And I still have my stock pipes on my bike as well. My wife asked me if it was safe to ride with ear plugs?
    I can still hear pretty much what's around me with no problems.

Stock pipes are good . No needs to upset the neighbors and on the road sound of wind is just enough . Gambling with costly pipes + tuning vs. questionable effect is not worth the effort .

Me Too !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Silence is indeed golden.

Last two H-D's made enough noise for a lifetime. Loving my stock pipes on the 6.

After years of noise with Harley, I appreciate the silence of the F6. *The police did not look at me anymore. Almost sorry. But I hear the radio at low volume.
    I no longer want to change parts as when I was on the harley

I actually got sick of the wind noise from a half helmet this summer and went back to my full-face. When it's hot I enjoy the shorty windshield, but riding 70 on the highway for any period of time without a full face really started grinding my ears.

I like the choppy sound of a V-twin but I also remember getting sick of that quick. I think I'm getting too damned old my darned self