I can see the pegs being much easier to open the closer they are to the rider. The way mine are setup makes them very comfortable as I like to stretch my legs once in a while. Pegs can definitely be opened while riding even mounted in the most forward position, just not as easy as they could have been due to them being rounded at the edge. This makes them somewhat difficult to flick open with the edge of your boot as there is a small contact point. It would have been much easier if the shape was a little different or maybe the peg extended further than the peg mount. Than the boot would catch it easier. However, with practice I'm sure one can get very proficient at it so it's not a deal breaker in my opinion. I like them too much...

Comfort is a personal thing, but I can tell you for me at 6' tall, 32" inseam they are very comfortable, perfect in fact. I used to have Rivco pegs mounted on engine protector bars on my GW and while comfortable I had to be careful not to rub my leg against the hot engine covers. No such problem with these. Also, the ability to adjust them front to back should make them usable for almost anyone.

Looks are subjective as well, for me these are the nicest looking pegs I've seen so far. I had similar pegs on my K1200LT but these I believe are better.