Honda response to paint issue - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Honda response to paint issue

I bought my bike (Standard Black) out of state and rode 750 miles to get it home, on that ride it got splattered with bugs and they got baked on with the Texas sun. I had to wash it aggressively to get the bugs off. Since new I have washed it twice and given it a good wax job. When I was waxing I used my powerful glasses to look for scratches/swirls, nothing. I used my thumb nail to get the decal off around fuel filler and it didn't scratch. I guess I'm a lucky one. But what I don't understand if the paint is bad shouldn't all F6's be bad? Are Goldwings and F6's manufactured/painted at the same plant?

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    Mine came out of a crate last weekend so I'm hopeful that I have NO paint issues as well.

I guess it depends on where it came from because I can not see how (if Honda knows about the paint issues which I believe they do from what members of this forum have said) they would continue to allow bad paint F6B's leave the Honda plant.

It's hard to complain about such an amazing machine, but I guess I have the paint problem too. I just got my bike last Saturday, June 22nd, and after a day ride on Sunday I started cleaning it and I was really surprised at the swirl marks. My last black bike was a 2000 Suzuki Bandit and I don't remember ever seeing swirl marks on it, plastic or metal. I will talk to my dealer asap and see what they say. Kind of a bummer but I'm way too happy with this bike right now to be upset about it.

Agree, took my kid on a 2 hr. Breakfast ride, paint looks better zooming across desert...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

I bought mine in April. Except for rain it hasn't been washed yet. It's probably due.

Honda called yesterday. I'm to take it back to the dealer for pics. They are to determine if I'm eligible for new parts. We discussed that the new parts would have the same paint and I was assured if I got new parts I would not be ineligible for any real fix later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Honda called yesterday. I'm to take it back to the dealer for pics. They are to determine if I'm eligible for new parts. We discussed that the new parts would have the same paint and I was assured if I got new parts I would not be ineligible for any real fix later.
    Then...WHy not wait until Honda gets all their ducks in a row, and comes up with the final solution. It sounds like you are taking a temporary fix, and that just replacing the current bad paint with new panels that will also have the bad paint. Given time...Honda will remedy this...it just takes time. Meanwhile, with every passing day that we wait...our paint gets worse and worse due to wear, so when they do make a decision, they will have to fix 93.14159 % of the current bikes out there.

As I said, I made sure that if I was offered new parts and if I had them installed I would still be eligible IF Honda chose to fix the paint properly.

Why would I not take the new parts?

I'm not taking a temporary fix in lieu of a real fix. (That may or may not be coming.) That would be foolish. As would be not accepting the new parts because they haven't made a decision yet on the proper fix.

I got mine back from the dealer the other day

It now has new saddlebag lids and side covers. The balance of the Tupperware was given the 3M treatment.

SO FAR, the replaced parts appear to have a harder finish. I've been flying a lot since I got it back, so I don't feel like I've really "tested" it yet. The lids and side panels don't seem to have the surface scratches the old ones got from handling. As far as the 3M treated parts go, I have no idea what to expect.

I told the service department folks that I was regarding this as an experimental treatment. They agreed that I may have to bring it back.

We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    As I said, I made sure that if I was offered new parts and if I had them installed I would still be eligible IF Honda chose to fix the paint properly.

Why would I not take the new parts?

I'm not taking a temporary fix in lieu of a real fix. (That may or may not be coming.) That would be foolish. As would be not accepting the new parts because they haven't made a decision yet on the proper fix.

Gumby, that was MY error. I read the word...ineligible...as being...eligible. That was my mistake for not reading that word more carefully.