I don't want to ride to work anymore
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't want to ride to work anymore

I don't want to ride to work anymore

Riding to work on my bike has become a stressor.

My commute is from the outskirts of Rochester, on mostly rural county and state highways with limited traffic, though I have a lot of cars coming at me as people head in to the city to work in the opposite direction that I am heading.

My commute in is 37.5 miles (75 round-trip), about 45-50 minutes long.

I guess I am posting this because I want to see how others feel about riding to work, and to be heard by others who will understand.

Here is what is stressing me out:

-I am drowsy in the morning, even after coffee, getting up at 5am to walk the dog a couple of miles before leaving around 7:00.
    -I am tired in the afternoon, after dealing with people all day.

As a result of the two things above, I don't feel I can generate the focus I need to ride a motorcycle safely.

-My ride in is mostly east, ride home is mostly west. Therefore, I get the sun both ways.

-Riding the bike throws off my routine, so I usually forget something like my office keys, and one time, my wallet.

-I don't like leaving the bike out in the parking lot for 8+ hours, in full sun the whole time. I cover it, but that is something else that makes the whole experience inconvenient.

-Speaking of inconvenience, I sometimes go to three different buildings during my work day, involving transportation. It is much easier to this in a car vs. putting on a helmet, stuffing my briefcase in the saddlebag, etc, etc.

I am an analytical and detail person, so I keep track of how many times I ride the bike to work. Last year, I rode 62 times, including nearly every day in June. This year, only 14 total.

I bought the F6B as a 50/50 commuting/recreation bike. I rode 8,500 miles last year, with 5,000 of that accumulated from commuting.

Now I just don't want to deal with it anymore. It is taking away from the riding experience overall, with the lingering unpleasantness of commuting affecting my desire to ride at other times.

I even mix up the route home, heading up to Lake Road, which is a very nice ride along the shore of Lake Ontario. That makes it a little better, but often I can't wait just to get home.

Not only that, but now I have a bike that may only get 4000 miles/year riding when I spent a chunk of change on it to serve as commuter transportation. Good thing its a Wing, and I could have it 25 years without spending much on maintenance and repairs.

Anyway, just wanted to share this and am interested in what others think.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

You have stated some very good reasons for not wanting to use your bike as your main commuter.

Take a break from it as such, use it occasionally as a ride to and from work; on days that you feel better; both physically and mentally.

Riding a bike to work affects folks in the most opposite ways. To me (when I was regularly commuting to the office - 100 mile round trip) the bike was a welcome relief... to unwind from a stressful day. Hell... on some days it was the only thing that would actually make me want to come to work... the bike ride in. Once I got there... all I would think about is the ride back home.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I wish I could commute....maybe if I did, I'd eventually feel this way. Commuting around here is a nightmare, so what I don't know is probably better. Mine is garaged a mile from work, so I wouldn't park it here everyday for that commute...only in moments of need right afterwards. The sun would irritate me also. I ride a lot more, so I satisfy my needs that way. Single and a renter, my weekends are free in riding season and the family knows it. It's definitely my medicine to calm me down. No real solace in my post, and the limited riding season you have does surprise me a bit, but I get it.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Sheesh. I wish I could sometimes commute on my bike. I have a company provided service truck/van. At least I am not paying for fuel and upkeep and get a new one every 100k miles, About 3 years.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Riding to work on my bike has become a stressor.
    My commute is from the outskirts of Rochester, on mostly rural county and state highways with limited traffic, though I have a lot of cars coming at me as people head in to the city to work in the opposite direction that I am heading.
    My commute in is 37.5 miles (75 round-trip), about 45-50 minutes long.
    I guess I am posting this because I want to see how others feel about riding to work, and to be heard by others who will understand.
    Here is what is stressing me out:
    -I am drowsy in the morning, even after coffee, getting up at 5am to walk the dog a couple of miles before leaving around 7:00.
    -I am tired in the afternoon, after dealing with people all day.
    As a result of the two things above, I don't feel I can generate the focus I need to ride a motorcycle safely.
    -My ride in is mostly east, ride home is mostly west. Therefore, I get the sun both ways.
    -Riding the bike throws off my routine, so I usually forget something like my office keys, and one time, my wallet.
    -I don't like leaving the bike out in the parking lot for 8+ hours, in full sun the whole time. I cover it, but that is something else that makes the whole experience inconvenient.
    -Speaking of inconvenience, I sometimes go to three different buildings during my work day, involving transportation. It is much easier to this in a car vs. putting on a helmet, stuffing my briefcase in the saddlebag, etc, etc.

I am an analytical and detail person, so I keep track of how many times I ride the bike to work. Last year, I rode 62 times, including nearly every day in June. This year, only 14 total.
    I bought the F6B as a 50/50 commuting/recreation bike. I rode 8,500 miles last year, with 5,000 of that accumulated from commuting.
    Now I just don't want to deal with it anymore. It is taking away from the riding experience overall, with the lingering unpleasantness of commuting affecting my desire to ride at other times.
    I even mix up the route home, heading up to Lake Road, which is a very nice ride along the shore of Lake Ontario. That makes it a little better, but often I can't wait just to get home.
    Not only that, but now I have a bike that may only get 4000 miles/year riding when I spent a chunk of change on it to serve as commuter transportation. Good thing its a Wing, and I could have it 25 years without spending much on maintenance and repairs.

Anyway, just wanted to share this and am interested in what others think.

I commuted on my motorcycle whenever the temp was above 20 degrees and the roads were dry.
    My commute was only 17 miles, but there were 42 stoplights (yes, I counted several times) and lots of two lane streets so my commute was 45 - 50 minutes as well.

For starters: I understand your sentiments perfectly.
    Now for my morning commentary on your predicament......
    I want to get one thing out of the way: for me, riding is not about me vs the bike and then me vs the bike vs the world. Riding is me AND Isleen vs the world.

Physical vs emotional fatigue:
    - If I walked a couple miles each morning, I'm pretty sure I'd be 'exercised' enough to maintain focus on the bike. Exercise does that to me. Might physically fatigue me, but my mind gets more alert.
    - I was never physically tired in the afternoon, but 'emotionally drained' from dealing with people? You betcha. These people could suck the life out of anyone......
    - I never found my bike commute to be physically challenging and I would look forward to riding her home. Like you, I had several different routes just to mix it up and see what was going on elsewheres.....
    - Separate emotional & physical fatigue as it applies to riding. They affect people differently. For me, I don't find riding physically challenging, and I've learned to stuff emotional crap into its "box" before I ride.

Routine...
    - My morning routine was up at 6. S, S, S, S, eat breakfast/coffee and out the door. No exercise. Philly drivers will keep you on your guard though.
    - Wearing a uniform and then after I transitioned, wearing a coat & tie (same building) was no factor and I didn't have to transition to other buildings on the compound where I couldn't walk.
    - Every time I leave the house, I tap 3 pockets looking for the critical 3 Ps: plastic (wallet), phone, piece.
    - My cage vs bike routine never changed in the prep work inside the house. In fact, I would often head to the barn not knowing if I was riding or driving.

Bike outside all day:
    - Yeah, I didn't like that either.
    My assigned parking spot was by the smoking area so there would be people gathering around Isleen, Saorla, or "Cherries & Cream" (red & white 98 Valk) with cigarettes in their hands.
    Made me nervous. The sunlight wasn't good either and yes, I concur that a cover or even a half cover is a PITA.

Analytics:
    - My bikes all have logbooks where everything that happens to the bike gets documented.
    - Every fill up with mileage, every time I roll over a 1000 mile marker, every maintenance action, every mod.
    - So yeah, I get that part too.

Passion for riding:
    - I've read many of your posts over the years and you are passionate about riding, about being a better rider.
    - Like me, you can analyze & "nit-noid" to the microscopic level, but at the same time, get emotional about doing it right & proper the first time through.
    - You are concerned about safety as well (with posts that have proven this) - and that is obviously the number one priority. If you think you are setting yourself up for being unsafe, it's time to step back and review.
    Personally? I think you are better in this category than you think you are, but in reality what I think doesn't matter.

Bottom line: Let the light of your passion for riding shine on your morning commute.

Riding vs Commuting:
    VStarRider, I write this with love and respect: "Do not let your analytical mind associate/link pleasure riding and commuting."
    Thinking of your bike more as a partner in life's journey (like a favorite pocket knife or every day carry weapon) rather than a transportation conveyance might help. Might not.
    People think I'm crazy for naming my bikes and projecting personalities into them. If flying large helicopters taught me anything, it is that machines that are identical & somewhat complex can behave VERY differently and those differences must be factored into the equation. Giving them a personality helps that.

Whether commuting or leisure riding, I'm with my girl. We are dancing. We are a team. We are ready to take on whatever life throws at us and take it on with a smile on our faces.

Please allow yourself to take your riding to the ethereal level.
    Reading "Calvin & Hobbes" helps too.

Time for more coffee.....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    .....Snip.....
    My morning routine was up at 6. S, S, S, S, eat breakfast/coffee and out the door. No exercise. Philly drivers will keep you on your guard though.
    ....End of Snip....
    I know what three S's are... what's the fourth one?

Sex?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I know what three S's are... what's the fourth one?

Sex?
    Sex? That would be morning exercise....nope.

Sh*t, Shower, Shave, Shine.
    I know you aren't so young as to never had to shine your boots. Lol.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Never enjoyed riding my bike to work..Traffic was bad, weather was always a gamble, hated to leave bike in employee parking lot as it was covered with dust/dirt by end of day, and it just became a "royal pain in the ass"...Love to ride and have been doing so for over 50 years, but no fun for me if I am stressed going back and forth to work...Life is to short to be miserable on a bike!!...JMHO

I've been around bikes for 50 years. I commute daily on my 6. Almost 100mi round trip daily. I put about 25K a year on just commuting. To me, it helps keep the stress of commuting in the Northern Va/DC area down. I can take HOV, I get 35+ mpg (versus 17 in my diesel truck), I can zip in and out of traffic when necessary. Yes it can be more stressful at times, and damned new dangerous. One downside, after 500 mi in the saddle, come the weekend there are a lot of other things I would rather do than ride.

YMMV, and you need to do what makes you happy. Good luck with your decision.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.

Circle-5
    "Philly drivers will keep you on your guard ...". That's a step up from L.A. drivers, who are basically trying to kill you. Thankfully, road rage shootings have slowed down, but turn signals are now unfashionable, even untrendy. Switching lanes is something they do whenever there is one car length of empty space available, plus one inch. If you are still sleepy when you get on the road, you will be wide awake 60 seconds into your freeway commute, splitting lanes for endless miles of total gridlock, packed with texting addicts, uninsured illegals and swerving Prius drivers (who are the most important people in the world, FYI). The girth of the F6B adds to the adrenaline rush, while you guesstimate the elevation of hundreds of rear-view mirrors on both sides.

Sometimes you get lucky following a Highway Patrol bike – then it's like Charlton Heston parting the Red Sea: cars will politely move to either side while you give them a California wave of gratitude. Everyday commute becomes a blessing, when you reach your destination and are still alive! I have started collecting some of my best Innovv motorcam videos (when the bloody DVR doesn't crash) and hope to post an edited video of the whackos and the crazies at some point. L.A. traffic will definitely sharpen your riding skills!