Home Brewed Luggage Rack - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Brewed Luggage Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    When I saw 6 pound limit on the Honda site I almost blew beer out my nose. Who in the world would ever pack only 6 pounds worth of stuff?? Some luggage weighs six pounds with nothing in it! I just did about 800 miles over the weekend with my large camlebak loaded to the seams and bungeed it to the back seat-rest and handles, it weighed about 25-30 pounds. No problems at all, If riding two-up is not a concern for you, go with a seat bag, much more practical than 6 pounds. *end rant*

Its not about the weight the rack can hold its about liability when you change the handling of the bike when you strap a refrigerator on there
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro66 View Post
    Its not about the weight the rack can hold its about liability when you change the handling of the bike when you strap a refrigerator on there
    Would that "refrigerator" be equivalent to a "standard" Goldwing Travel Pack with speakers and built in passenger backrest in addition to it's contents.? When Honda "shaved" 62 lbs from the F6B what portion of that was the actual weight of the TP?

Smile

Basically the manufacturer cannot control how much you load the product once you have it they don't want you to put anything on the rack at all as it might change the way the bike feels causing you to have difficulties hence the load warning

So if your told that the manufacturer rates an item at 5lbs load limit and you put on 10lbs then you absolve them of liability.

The fact that the item in reality can hold 100lbs and that a similar model vehicle already has more weight in that location is your choice but is against the manufactureres recommendation hence on your head.

As with all things commonsense must prevail
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro66 View Post
    Basically the manufacturer cannot control how much you load the product once you have it they don't want you to put anything on the rack at all as it might change the way the bike feels causing you to have difficulties hence the load warning

So if your told that the manufacturer rates an item at 5lbs load limit and you put on 10lbs then you absolve them of liability.

The fact that the item in reality can hold 100lbs and that a similar model vehicle already has more weight in that location is your choice but is against the manufactureres recommendation hence on your head.

As with all things commonsense must prevail

Biggest waste of money was this rack from Bike MP3. Flimsy paint peeling piece of junk. Poorly engineered and poorly finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewdog View Post
    Biggest waste of money was this rack from Bike MP3. Flimsy paint peeling piece of junk. Poorly engineered and poorly finished.
    I've used the hell out of mine with no issues aside from the dumb plastic caps. If you have one and want to part with it I'm fairly certain there are many on the forum that would happily take it of your hands for a fair price.

Can't open the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Nice lookin rack...round the back corners to mimic the F6 and you wil have something there !!!

I had approx 20# on my stock rack and it never complained...not sure where the weight rating comes from...it is bolted on top of the frame ?
    Same here. I have had well over 20 lbs on the rack, and road thousands of miles like that, with no problems. If we listened to all of Mother Hondas recommendations, we would not have any darkside riders, or trailer hitches etc.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    Can't open the pics.
    Ditto

The photo/pics were originally posted in July/August 2013. Sorry! Thought that they would be recovered during the site transformation!

bob109

If you still have some pics i would like to see what you came up with.
    I didnt look at the date either when this thread popped back to the top
    2015 matte silver F6B