My new F6B 2013 seems more powerfull than my regular Gold Wing 2010
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new F6B 2013 seems more powerfull than my regular Gold Wing 2010

My new F6B 2013 seems more powerfull than my regular Gold Wing 2010

I know that Honda reduced the weight of the F6B of 60 pounds VS the regular Gold Wing (2010) ... but when I run my F6B, I feel like they reduced it of 200 pounds (except when I go backward). Honda eliminated the Windshield and the topcase ... these changes reduced the Drag. Did Honda change anything else to make me feel that way ... ?

Cool

Nope...just the extra weight that was sitting very high....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by COYOTE View Post
    Did Honda change anything else to make me feel that way ... ?
    Coyote...I agree with you 100 % that this bike feels so much faster/quicker, etc. that the GL1800 Wing. Having owned 3 of the regular 1800 Wings, with over 300,000 miles on them collectively, I am used to the fell of them.

This F6B is much quicker...and faster...up to the linmit of 125 mph.

It is my opinion...and I have nothing technical to base this on for evidence...just my opinion...but:

Give that we now know that the F6B has a speed limit built into the ECM, and that the 2012 GL1800 Wing does NOT have thie same speed limt built into their ECM...I am wondering if the two different ECM's have other changes done to them, which makes the F6B a much quicker bike, other than just the weight loss.

I am searching the country to find a wrecked or totaled out 2012 or 2013 GL-1800 Wing, and see if they want to sell me their ECM. It should be plug n' play, and I want to see if it eliminates the speed limiting of the bike.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Coyote...I agree with you 100 % that this bike feels so much faster/quicker, etc. that the GL1800 Wing. Having owned 3 of the regular 1800 Wings, with over 300,000 miles on them collectively, I am used to the fell of them.

This F6B is much quicker...and faster...up to the linmit of 125 mph.

It is my opinion...and I have nothing technical to base this on for evidence...just my opinion...but:

Give that we now know that the F6B has a speed limit built into the ECM, and that the 2012 GL1800 Wing does NOT have thie same speed limt built into their ECM...I am wondering if the two different ECM's have other changes done to them, which makes the F6B a much quicker bike, other than just the weight loss.

I am searching the country to find a wrecked or totaled out 2012 or 2013 GL-1800 Wing, and see if they want to sell me their ECM. It should be plug n' play, and I want to see if it eliminates the speed limiting of the bike.

Miles, I beleive that the older Goldwings also have a limit (not 100% certain), the Honda Runes with the same GL1800 shuts off the spark to one of the cylinders once it reaches 133-134mph. I am also interested in seeing what you discover.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom6B View Post
    Miles, I beleive that the older Goldwings also have a limit (not 100% certain), the Honda Runes with the same GL1800 shuts off the spark to one of the cylinders once it reaches 133-134mph. I am also interested in seeing what you discover.

Phantom, on the 3 GW 1800 Wings that I had, a '03,an '04, and an '06, with collectively over 300k miles on them, I was never able to get them to reach higher than 130 mph, as per my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. While the bikes' speedometer may read higher, I depended on my Garmin to tell me the real speed. On all three of those bikes...the maximum I was ever able to get the bikes up to, in controlled riding conditions, choosing very carefully on the roads, weather, wind, etc., was a maximum of 130 mph. And never did it feel as though the bikes were speed limited, as in...cutting out a cylinder or cutting off the fuel.

On the GL-1800 Wings...on all three of them...I had to work the bike to get it up to that speed. They would easily go up to 100. They would comfortably go from 100 to 120. They would gently go from 120 to 126, but then they had to work their way up from 126 to 130...possibly 131...but only under the right wind and road conditions. All three felt exactly the same way.

This F6B literally JUMPS up to 120...faster than I have ever imagined it would have, and then easily moves from 120 up to 125...then cuts the fuel off, at 125. It you want to ride at 124 mph...that is not a problem. The bike is smooth, and comfortable at that speed.

I have yet to find anyone that...using a very good quality GPS as the speed reader...can show that they exceeded 130 mph on a 2001 - 2010 Wing.

Again, it never felt like it was limited, but you had to work the bike to get it up to that speed.

Yes, the reality is I would rather have the F6B that literally JUMPS up in speed, like a sprinter, rathert than a marathon runner, than to have the full sized Wing that slowly gets to that speed. I would rather have it limuted to 125...but very quick between zero and 124...than to have it the other way.

Yes, we do rarely ever ride at that high speed. I agree that it should NOT be done very often, if ever.

It just bugs me a "little" that they put a speed limiter on this bike.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Miles,

I have never had my Goldwing beyond 125mph but felt that I could have gone a little more, however I have had a Honda Rune on a DYNO reach 142mph indicated on its digital speedometer. The Rune started bucking at 134mph but I did NOT release the throttle and continued accelerating …. with only 5 cylinders running I reached 142mph where it stopped climbing and then quickly grabbed the clutch, let go of the throttle and allowed the Dyno wheel to slow her down. No road resistance, no wind resistance and no weight resistance allowed for the higher speed. I have a photo of the Speedo reading 140mph on the Honda Rune with the same engine as the F6B. One significant difference between the 2 bikes is that the F6B (and the GL1800's) have 2 throttle bodies that each feed 3 cylinders, the Rune has 6 throttle bodies, 1 per cylinder. The Runes run more on the rich side when it comes to fuel consumption. The Runes reach 130mph effortlessly.

I am still curious about the ECM. Would like to know if Honda modified it for the F6B and in return had to give up some of the top speed. Keep us posted

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    It's a matter of time before Healtech or another company will come out with A tre or jsd for this bike. The tre with gear indicator I had on my 109 tricked the ecu into thinking it was in 4th all the time eliminating the 5th governing that Suzuki had put in 5th.

I found the speed limiter today. Mine cuts out at 125 also. Had a little vibration around 110 but I pushed it through. Just wanted to see and feel what she could do. What a rush!

Cool

I bumped the high rev limiter the other day by accident...music to loud in my ears to hear bike red line...I did feel it cut out though....I was getting on the 408 toll road and was pushing pretty hard...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    It's a matter of time before Healtech or another company will come out with A tre or jsd for this bike.
    The tre with gear indicator I had on my 109 tricked the ecu into thinking it was in 4th all the time eliminating the 5th governing that Suzuki had put in 5th.
    This is what I'm waiting for, a plug-n-play TRE.