Belly Pan...Is there a need?

Thread: Belly Pan...Is there a need?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    this might be a good reason to install a belly pan. This is a coolant bottle that came off one of my good friends Goldwing. He ran over this bolt in the road and it kicked up and speared his coolant bottle. I have a picture of a punctured oil filter somewhere but I can't find it. I bought a belly pan for my wing but I have never installed it. For some reason, I prefer not to run them, not sure why, but I just don't like them. To each his own.
    WOW thats some bolt.Most belly pans are thin sheetmetal so with a bolt/object that size it would probably go thru the belly pan and hit something and cause damage anyway
    Ride it like you stole it

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    They aren't extremely expensive, and pretty easy to install.
    Not going to protect you from a 'major projectile' but deflecting some debris might be all it takes to save your bacon.
    I've got 'em on the way, just not here / installed yet,,,

Quote Originally Posted by F6B-RICH View Post
    WOW thats some bolt.Most belly pans are thin sheetmetal so with a bolt/object that size it would probably go thru the belly pan and hit something and cause damage anyway
    Very true, the belly pans aren't made from armor plate. I think most are made from 22 gauge aluminum. They will take a beating. The other down side is; Some riders claim that it makes the bike run hotter because it traps a lot more heat in the engine compartment. I have no knowledge of this, but I have heard folks complain about it.