Night riding

Thread: Night riding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    Hey Miles, which hid's did you use? This is always one of the first mods I like to do for safety.

I installed the GoldWingHIDs that were purchased through:

I got all this from SoCalMotoGear, @... www.socalmotogear.com

Here is the direct link to their website, with the Goldwing lighting products http://www.socalmotogear.com/category_s/33.htm

They have two different ones for the GL-1800 Wings, or...F6Bs. There is the low beams HIDs, for $ 165.00, and then there is the low beam & high beam HIDs, so you get all four lights with HIDs, for $ 299.00. That is the one I got.

It truly is Plug N' Play...not splicing or cutting at all. It is not an EASY job to do, especially the high beam lights, but...it is well worth it.

Remember, it is VERY important to first install the Electrical Connection (EC) part # 02116 wiring harness, which is the low beam cutout harness.

Miles, thanks for the reply. Actually I'm not having any issue seeing down the road as the highs do a good job lighting up the road when needed. The issue I noticed is that the wings headlights track to the outside and off the road, thus preventing a good look through the turn. This struck me as a bit odd since I run mostly fixed fairing bikes and have never experienced this blind area. As a rule I do not run additional lighting, but thought these lights might fill that GAP in the bikes stock pattern. More specifically from the bike out to about 15-20 yards but more of a wide pattern if you know what I mean.
    I had an HID on my Vision and rarely found a need for using it, although they do put out a nice broad pattern. Is this the result you've experienced with the HID kit you installed??
    Obviously It doesn't sound like I'm up to your annual mileage as I only manage about 5500 a month, last year being an exception due to a short ride to AK and 27k ... If I only carried me I wouldn't be too worried about this but I carry my Mrs with me a lot and I'd really hate parking the bike in a field with her on board, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Miles, thanks for the reply. Actually I'm not having any issue seeing down the road as the highs do a good job lighting up the road when needed. The issue I noticed is that the wings headlights track to the outside and off the road, thus preventing a good look through the turn. This struck me as a bit odd since I run mostly fixed fairing bikes and have never experienced this blind area. As a rule I do not run additional lighting, but thought these lights might fill that GAP in the bikes stock pattern. More specifically from the bike out to about 15-20 yards but more of a wide pattern if you know what I mean.
    I had an HID on my Vision and rarely found a need for using it, although they do put out a nice broad pattern. Is this the result you've experienced with the HID kit you installed??
    Obviously It doesn't sound like I'm up to your annual mileage as I only manage about 5500 a month, last year being an exception due to a short ride to AK and 27k ... If I only carried me I wouldn't be too worried about this but I carry my Mrs with me a lot and I'd really hate parking the bike in a field with her on board, lol...
    Teach, after a futher explanation, the BikeMP3 lights...the 960 Dual LED lights, should work very wel for you. They do put outr a LOT of light within the 15 to 30 yards area.

If you are riding 5500 miles per month, as you stated above, then you are doing 66,000 miles a year, and that is pretty good.

Miles, thanks for the reply. We have a short riding season here so most of my riding gets done between May and October and as you probably know, one has real high mileage months and lows. Still I get a respectable amount of miles ridden each summer.
    Thanks for the input on the lamps and I am considering the HID option as well.

Anyone know how the F6 headlights are adjusted? I haven't really looked but I did notice a couple white wheels inside the fairing behind the headlights?

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Anyone know how the F6 headlights are adjusted? I haven't really looked but I did notice a couple white wheels inside the fairing behind the headlights?
    Eureka...you found it.

Mile's thanks again, lol.... Not to fear my friend I will soon figure out all this bikes in's and out's.

Went to "buyheadlightbulbs.com" and got 4 Hella zenon 4200K bulbs for $26 a pair. White light to see and be seen by. Plug n' play install (the dealer owed me one) and I saved several hundred bucks.