Heated Gear Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heated Gear Question

Heated Gear Question

My wife bought me a full set of heated gear from FirstGear as a Christmas present. With the set, she bought me a Dual Portable Heat -Troller .My question to anyone with heated gear, where have you placed the controller? It comes with a couple of velcro patches to place it somewhere. So far, I have not mounted it anywhere, can't make up my mind. I've only been out with the gear on once. It was very nice, but for that time ,I just put the troller in my pocket. This is not the most convenient for trying to adjust the levels while going down the road. Trying to adjust it by digging it out of my jacket pocket ,riding down the road, was cumbersome.

Mine stays in the left compartment, I pretty much know where to set it before I roll, so minimal adjusting. Heated gear is the best money I have ever spent in motorcycling bar none!

Why not put it on the clutch hydraulic reserve lid? thinking velco. Could you take a pic of it?

John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

2kewlgypsy
    You can see in this picture, both the outlet, by the seat (though next time the seat comes off this may move down under my left leg) and the controller. I moved the white line to up for off, mounted the velcro to the frame under that cover. Has stayed put, and works nicely!Attachment 10964

I have a Tourmaster MobileWarming heated jacket which is battery operated. I use this for short rides or just out and about. The controller is built into the battery, which stays in my jacket pocket.

I also have a Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 heated vest. When used, this vest gets plugged into the bike. I routed the power from the accessory port next to the battery. I have the power cable coming out toward the rear the left side panel and seat. The plug is secured through the helmet lock so it doesn't fly around or scratch the paint. As for the controller, I clip mine to my belt on the left side so i can easily adjust the temperature. There is another option to clip it on the left leg with the provided velcro strap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by 2kewlgypsy View Post
    You can see in this picture, both the outlet, by the seat (though next time the seat comes off this may move down under my left leg) and the controller. I moved the white line to up for off, mounted the velcro to the frame under that cover. Has stayed put, and works nicely!Attachment 10964
    2Kewl, When I had my Victory Cross Country, I used to run my CB headset plug between my seat and gas tank like your setup for your heat gear. After a while, the plug scuffed the gas take due to constant rubbing. Victory's paint has a clear coat and is not nearly as soft as our F6B. So I would just use caution...maybe lay some 3M paint protection film in that area under the plug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2kewlgypsy
    Thanks for the insight. No rubbing so far, but yes was planning on moving it, and will look for a spot that has a bit more room - both so it doesn't rub, and so that I can tuck in away when not in use.

Years back when I first had heated gear I also had multiple bikes I had a velcro strip on my coldweather riding pants that I would stick the controller on. That way only one wire to unplug when getting off the bike.
    BUT more recent, for my Valk and the F6B I spent the money and wired in the permanent Controller and plug.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Years back when I first had heated gear I also had multiple bikes I had a velcro strip on my coldweather riding pants that I would stick the controller on. That way only one wire to unplug when getting off the bike.
    BUT more recent, for my Valk and the F6B I spent the money and wired in the permanent Controller and plug.
    I like that. What brand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I like that. What brand ?
    The Permanent Controllers and connections are from Gerbing