Best stereo upgrade options - Page 10
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    To be honest, I hadn't even thought of removing the tweeters from their casing until another member here had done it. I wonder if it is possible to order a replacement tweeter?
    I just emailed Polk to find out.

Think I'm gonna open er up today and get started. Jimmy, is it hard to find the cable from the head unit to the amplifier to intercept it? Any suggestions for the easiest way?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    Think I'm gonna open er up today and get started. Jimmy, is it hard to find the cable from the head unit to the amplifier to intercept it? Any suggestions for the easiest way?
    I got mine in the wiring from the amplifier. The OEM amp has a bundle of wires coming from it to a plug that plugs into the factory harness. I unplugged the amp and then cut those wire bundles approx. at the half way point and then identifies which wires were what from the Honda shop manual wiring diagram. The half of that wiring bundle goes to the plug. The other half is still connected to the amp that is now removed. So you identify the wires for the pre out signals and solder in RCA connectors . Then plug it back into the factory harness and voila.I also used the amp power feed in that harness to turn on my new amp at the trigger point. The new amp has separate power feeds from the battery.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I gotta say, the idea of a subwoofer on a motorcycle trips me out! I hope to hear one of these setups for myself. I just ordered a 15 F6B in blue and was looking at inexpensive mods and couldn't help but notice this speaker thread. I'll wait and see how it sounds with my full face helmet on and then decide. Thanks for all the great info here!

Quote Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
    I gotta say, the idea of a subwoofer on a motorcycle trips me out! I hope to hear one of these setups for myself. I just ordered a 15 F6B in blue and was looking at inexpensive mods and couldn't help but notice this speaker thread. I'll wait and see how it sounds with my full face helmet on and then decide. Thanks for all the great info here!
    Just come to the Rally Labor Day Weekend. Lord willing ,I'll be there.

I'm almost willing to bet my son has a high school band competition that weekend. I'll check into it though. I'm in Apex NC, Franklin looks like a sweet mountain area.

To be honest, I hadn't even thought of removing the tweeters from their casing until another member here had done it. I wonder if it is possible to order a replacement tweeter?
    Yep, replacements on the way from Polk. That will be my first remediation. If that doesn't do the trick (and I suspect you're right that it will) the speaker wire guage is next. Then assuming everything sounds great, I'm gonna run the cable from the head unit to the new amp so I can have my AVC back. Wish me luck! Happy Memorial Day, everyone.

Yep, replacements on the way from Polk. That will be my first remediation. If that doesn't do the trick (and I suspect you're right that it will) the speaker wire guage is next. Then assuming everything sounds great, I'm gonna run the cable from the head unit to the new amp so I can have my AVC back. Wish me luck! Happy Memorial Day, everyone.
    Good luck and Happy Memorial Day to you too and everyone else on board.

I would plan to go ahead and replace the speaker wire, if you're still hooked up with the 18 awg wire.

The hook up to the pre outs is really not that hard.

Have a good Memorial Day weekend and remember why we have Memorial Day everyone.

I would plan to go ahead and replace the speaker wire, if you're still hooked up with the 18 awg wire.

The hook up to the pre outs is really not that hard.

Have a good Memorial Day weekend and remember why we have Memorial Day everyone.
    Ok, well, the tweeters did the trick, it now sounds really good. I figured out how to mount them where the old ones were located, by cutting away some plastic and securing them with two tiny screws each. Here are a few pics.

Attachment 14283Attachment 14284

Next task is to connect to the head unit pre outs. I had the back open and looked at the back of the head unit but decided to wait for another day. I might just intercept the pre outs there and connect them to the headset outputs, thinking I can avoid running a bunch of cable to the new amp. This way I should get my AVC back. What do you think, Jimmytee?