Best stereo upgrade options - Page 12
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Just added a Polk PAD 2000.2 - Two channel amp(100 watts RMS per channel- certified) in my left bag. Used the passenger head set plug, converted to RCA's as input. Pretty good signal. Amp and Polk DXI 651 speakers add much quality to the sound and can be heard clearly at a couple blocks away. Neighbors love me... 92 Db at 1 watt. Good for a mid road speaker.
    Very loud but clear if desired.

I have a pair of Premium Polk MM 651 speakers, but can't yet get myself to modify them to fit. They have a wider basket and require a spacer to fit the magnet, which is provided.They will also not allow the shelter- speaker cover to snap back on tight, so that will require some trimming. If I go there?

On a scale of 1 to 10, the DXI651speakers with the Polk amp combo, are a solid 8.5.
    No comparison to OEM or the just a speaker upgrade without an amp.
    I'm done with one for a while..
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Why won't Honda come up with a plug and play high end stereo upgrade like Harleys have.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    Why won't Honda come up with a plug and play high end stereo upgrade like Harleys have.
    Good question...

The Harley systems also need upgrading from oem and are not cheap to do.

There are more offerings in plug and play..

Exp with my SG anyway.

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Maybe off topic here, but if you want to test the sound quality play Ted Nugents "Stranglehold" . Even on my OEM system it sounds amazing.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    For less that 100 bucks I put in that Sony NWZ 385 Mp3 player and so far I've loaded 51 CD's on it and the sound is incredible, much better than listening to the FM. You can turn it up high enough to blow you off the bike. I can listen to music at 80 mph without any problem at all. It all really depends on your listening ability though, ears are kind of an important factor in this endeavor. My old ear, after listening to diesel engines for 36 years are definitely not 100%, I have to turn up everything louder than my family likes it.
    So if its loud to me then its probably pretty loud to someone with excellent hearing. JMHO
    Not sure what you're talking about. I've got 30 gigs of music currently through a flash drive hooked to the USB. That's waaaaay more than what you're talking about and it costs a lot less then $100.

We're talking about speakers and amps, not the source for the music.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Not sure what you're talking about. I've got 30 gigs of music currently through a flash drive hooked to the USB. That's waaaaay more than what you're talking about and it costs a lot less then $100.

We're talking about speakers and amps, not the source for the music.
    I still have 12 gigs of empty space after loading 51 cd's but I was talking about the price as much as the sound I am hearing, much richer and fuller sound than listening to the stock FM. These guys are spending way more than 100 bucks. Putting in amplifiers isn't cheap, How is the sound with your flash drive? I have a flash drive a friend made up for me but haven't put it in yet, I should do that and compare the sound quality.

All the music I listen to has been down loaded at the best baud rate to a excellent quality flash drive. I think its close to the best I can do to reproduce signal quality. But
    the amp and speakers push the sound quality to a different level. Clear music at medium volume levels doesn't do it for me when comparing clear music at high volume.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post

I have a pair of Premium Polk MM 651 speakers, but can't yet get myself to modify them to fit. They have a wider basket and require a spacer to fit the magnet, which is provided.They will also not allow the shelter- speaker cover to snap back on tight, so that will require some trimming. If I go there?

Do you know if you could get by with a thinner spacer (to seat the speaker deeper) ?

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Do you know if you could get by with a thinner spacer (to seat the speaker deeper) ?
    Not sure which speakers you are thinking about but the opening in the dash is just under 2 1/2" deep so most all speakers except the MM will fit for mount depth. The MM measure 2 5/8" so at least an 1/8" spacer is needed. If you select a " shallow mount" speaker, be advised you give away capacity with most speakers. RMS and Peak wattage because of the smaller, shallow magnet. Don't know if this helps.
    Good luck
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Not sure which speakers you are thinking about but the opening in the dash is just under 2 1/2" deep so most all speakers except the MM will fit for mount depth. The MM measure 2 5/8" so at least an 1/8" spacer is needed. If you select a " shallow mount" speaker, be advised you give away capacity with most speakers. RMS and Peak wattage because of the smaller, shallow magnet. Don't know if this helps.
    Good luck
    J
    Thanks, you answered my question.

I was referring to the MM651 from your quote that I posted (updated quote in red). From pictures of the MM651 spacers that I have seen on a Goldwing install, they are a lot thicker than 1/8" so it sounds like the speakers could be seated closer with a 1/8" spacer which should help with the dash cover clearance issue.

I am happy with the stock speakers when riding without traffic, but in traffic or with loud pipes, the stock speakers just don't cut it.

Attachment 15140Attachment 15141Attachment 15142Attachment 15143Attachment 15144

The guy who did the Goldwing install used the stock speakers as a template to cut the MM651's and their spacers. This appears to have taken off a lot more meat than what was necessary. A template could probably be made which just accounts for the minimum amount of material to be removed which should help preserve the structural integrity of the speaker.