Best stereo upgrade options - Page 20
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlackWing View Post
    Since I know from you write-up, you have seen all inside your F6B, and I have yet to purchase any aftermarket items or even remove much of the panels etc and explore the interior areas of the bike, I just wondering about alternative locations for a small amp, and subwoofer rather than the saddle bags, if you have come to find new locations. Also wondering.. with a 3 year factory warranty, if its jeperdizing coverage when any electronic mods are be performed (aka stereo improvements) Its close to the time the bike will be hibernation for the season (don't want road sodium/ chemicals exposure) Stereo changes are likely in the cards, but I have decided how far I want to go with it. I'm not one that likes to be shakin by others stereo's (music choices), so I might also for-go the sub Idea, and I would want to use this in traffic. I believe a better windshield, and better front speakers will be the first sound improvement though.
    As far as a sub woofer, there are not a lot of options. It's going to involve some space. In my deliberations, I was at first intending to mount 2 subs ,one in each saddlebag facing the rear wheel. I instead went with the simpler route with the JL Audio micro sub and have been very happy with it.
    As far as the amp, just depends on which amp you choose. The amp I used is pretty small in size and therefore can be tucked in a few places. The OEM location though didn't quite seem like a good fit. The amp by itself will fit but by the time you add in all the wiring it's a bit tight. Not to say it couldn't work, but the location in the left saddlebag where I put it, really takes up no usable space and it is easily accessed for any changes or adjustments. It could also be placed up in the fairing.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    As far as a sub woofer, there are not a lot of options. It's going to involve some space. In my deliberations, I was at first intending to mount 2 subs ,one in each saddlebag facing the rear wheel. I instead went with the simpler route with the JL Audio micro sub and have been very happy with it.
    As far as the amp, just depends on which amp you choose. The amp I used is pretty small in size and therefore can be tucked in a few places. The OEM location though didn't quite seem like a good fit. The amp by itself will fit but by the time you add in all the wiring it's a bit tight. Not to say it couldn't work, but the location in the left saddlebag where I put it, really takes up no usable space and it is easily accessed for any changes or adjustments. It could also be placed up in the fairing.
    Dang it, what I meant to say was that is less likely I would go with a sub-way, Most likely OEM speaker upgrade replacement, and maybe an amp...that's. If I think an amp will be in the future, I had better spring for the 2 ohm MM series is my thinking now.

Speaker grills

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I received my DXI651 speakers and got them installed. They sound Great, with either amp. These speakers put out lower lows and louder lows. Definitely worth the $60.

The new amp gives the lows more "punch". But they sound just fine with the stock amp. I do have to turn the volume up about 2 clicks. So now instead of running about 12 on the volume, I have to use it around 14. That's okay, there is plenty left.

The OEM amp gets a lot of bad press on this board. I ran into something that might explain it (probably not). If you are blasting your stereo without the bike running, the battery is probably around 12.5v. If the bike is running, it will be around 14.5v (mine is a little higher than that). Since power is voltage squared, the 14.5v has 1/3rd more power for the amp than the 12.5v does.

If you are using a 100w+ amp, you don't need full power. 70% is plenty.

Anyway, the speakers are great!
    Valk or others that have...Are you installing the grills with you DXI651 after the install?

Valk or others that have...Are you installing the grills with you DXI651 after the install?
    No grills on mine ....
    Albuquerque, NM

Not really possible installing grills and getting the shelter to fit.

Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Other reason

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post

Jim
    A grill (some type) is a necessity, but I believe it will reduce fidelity somewhat, so I wouldn't want two grill sets over a set of speaker anyway...just think of the reflected waves that would likely occur between the two grills.

Jim
    HS..
    You don't need grills in the F6B application and definately not extra grills. You have them with the oem speaker covers on the shelter. Neither affect your sound, measurably by ear.. Keep it simple.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I received my DXI651 speakers and got them installed. They sound Great, with either amp. These speakers put out lower lows and louder lows. Definitely worth the $60.

The new amp gives the lows more "punch". But they sound just fine with the stock amp. I do have to turn the volume up about 2 clicks. So now instead of running about 12 on the volume, I have to use it around 14. That's okay, there is plenty left.

The OEM amp gets a lot of bad press on this board. I ran into something that might explain it (probably not). If you are blasting your stereo without the bike running, the battery is probably around 12.5v. If the bike is running, it will be around 14.5v (mine is a little higher than that). Since power is voltage squared, the 14.5v has 1/3rd more power for the amp than the 12.5v does.

If you are using a 100w+ amp, you don't need full power. 70% is plenty.

Anyway, the speakers are great!
    Thanks, this is helpful for me

Simple

HS..
    You don't need grills in the F6B application and definately not extra grills. You have them with the oem speaker covers on the shelter. Neither affect your sound, measurably by ear.. Keep it simple.
    Yes, Polks DXI65 replacements, and a decent windscreen.

Yes, Polks DXI65 replacements, and a decent windscreen.

Right on, enjoy the Polks.
    Adjust your fader to the front.
    Also, remember to mount the Polk DXI's up side down so the shelter snaps back on correctly. See some of my pictures in early posts to this thread.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul

2013 F6B Deluxe