Best stereo upgrade options - Page 6
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    Already shipped. But Amazon makes it so easy to return stuff. I'll wait for the right one!
    I return now, because, the MVP4a is back in stock at Sonic Electronics and I have one on order. So, Jimmy Tee, now that you had so much fun (i.e., experience) with the sound upgrade, what do you think will be the simplest approach to the wiring, assuming the installation of the MVP4a and just the two front speaker replacements? I saw your original thread with all the things you tried, and I'd like to leverage your experience and not go through all that you did. I'm also hoping to find space for the amp in the front fairing.

Thanks in advance every much!

I return now, because, the MVP4a is back in stock at Sonic Electronics and I have one on order. So, Jimmy Tee, now that you had so much fun (i.e., experience) with the sound upgrade, what do you think will be the simplest approach to the wiring, assuming the installation of the MVP4a and just the two front speaker replacements? I saw your original thread with all the things you tried, and I'd like to leverage your experience and not go through all that you did. I'm also hoping to find space for the amp in the front fairing.

Thanks in advance every much!
    The absolutely easiest way to hook up that amp would be to get an adapter ,that is available a couple of different places, that plugs into the headset plug and gives you an 3.5 mm (1/8" jack) to then adapt using a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA plug adapter. Other than power wires, this would set you up to use the amp. This is compromised in that you have to have the headset button engaged, but it will work just fine. You could also tap into the headset harness and solder in your own RCA connectors and this would leave the headset plug vacant, but you'd still have have the headset button engaged. This set up will yield a satisfying pre amp signal to the new amp.

The way I did it, as I detailed in the mentioned thread, was to splice into the actual pre out signals that feed the factory amp. This is more involved and I ultimately removed the factory Honda amp in the process. This is the way I would do it again as it leaves the headset function to function normally. Even though I don't use the headset, I just felt more satisfied doing it that way and it also allowed me to get 4 channels of pre outs as opposed to just the two that are in the headset. Tapping into the preamp signals that feed the factory amp is not that difficult, but it does require some skill in wiring and making connections. Also , for me required removing a fair amount of rear body work. But not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    The absolutely easiest way to hook up that amp would be to get an adapter ,that is available a couple of different places, that plugs into the headset plug and gives you an 3.5 mm (1/8" jack) to then adapt using a 3.5 mm to stereo RCA plug adapter. Other than power wires, this would set you up to use the amp. This is compromised in that you have to have the headset button engaged, but it will work just fine. You could also tap into the headset harness and solder in your own RCA connectors and this would leave the headset plug vacant, but you'd still have have the headset button engaged. This set up will yield a satisfying pre amp signal to the new amp.

The way I did it, as I detailed in the mentioned thread, was to splice into the actual pre out signals that feed the factory amp. This is more involved and I ultimately removed the factory Honda amp in the process. This is the way I would do it again as it leaves the headset function to function normally. Even though I don't use the headset, I just felt more satisfied doing it that way and it also allowed me to get 4 channels of pre outs as opposed to just the two that are in the headset. Tapping into the preamp signals that feed the factory amp is not that difficult, but it does require some skill in wiring and making connections. Also , for me required removing a fair amount of rear body work. But not bad.
    Thanks, Jimmy. I don't use the headset, so I'm gonna do it as you suggest. Many, many thanks!

headset pigtail

would using the passenger headset pigtail wiring be a neater, out of the way place to tap in? Everything could be hidden under the seat. Jim

headset pigtail

would using the passenger headset pigtail wiring be a neater, out of the way place to tap in? Everything could be hidden under the seat. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsol1 View Post
    The answer is yes, but you'd either have to wire in some jacks to the passenger hook up or buy a harness that plugs into the passenger feed to use the above mentioned adapters. As I'm sure you know, the F6B does not come with the harness installed for the passenger but it is an accessory available through Honda or another vendor.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post

Jimmy, since the headset plug allows for plugging in a combined headset/microphone, I'm guessing the adapter you mention would have multiple jacks on the other end, for 2-channel output as well as microphone input, correct? Just asking so I can fine a suitable adapter.

Jimmy, since the headset plug allows for plugging in a combined headset/microphone, I'm guessing the adapter you mention would have multiple jacks on the other end, for 2-channel output as well as microphone input, correct? Just asking so I can fine a suitable adapter.
    Jimmy, check out this adapter, maybe kill two birds with one stone!:
    http://www.amazon.com/Olufsen-5-pin-...+connector+din

That would seem to be an idea, however DO NOT buy it. Seems logical doesn't it? However, 5 pin din plugs are pretty common in the audio world, but just because it is has 5 pins, does not mean those 5 pins are wired for the same purpose. Each of those pins are connected to a wire for a single purpose. In the 5 pin plug on our headset jacks, only three pins are used for the speaker portion of the headset. One pin is a shared common for both the left and right stereo signals and then there are the left and right stereo signal leads. The other two pins are for a ground and signal wire for the mic of a headset.

You need something like this http://wingstuff.com/products/21549-...?from_search=1

or here

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-WMA-F

and then something like this, they sell various configurations of these just about anywhere.
    http://www.amazon.com/12ft-3-5mm-Ste...+3+5mm+adapter
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

been there.that plug dont work