Best stereo upgrade options - Page 8
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Best stereo upgrade options

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    And that is because you you took the power wire that previously fed the Honda amp and sent it to the MVPA's power or remote terminal instead? I must have this!

Also, did you mess with the MVPA's various settings at all?
    Well you know how I got there. I'd imagine that the power source could be picked up before getting back to the rear where the amp harness is, but I have not looked for it elsewhere. I wanted the preout signals too that fed the OEM amp. You do have a shop manual right? I could have probably tapped into the harness before it got into the back, but the harness before there is tightly wrapped and bundled with not much apparent slack to work with.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Well you know how I got there. I'd imagine that the power source could be picked up before getting back to the rear where the amp harness is, but I have not looked for it elsewhere. I wanted the preout signals too that fed the OEM amp. You do have a shop manual right? I could have probably tapped into the harness before it got into the back, but the harness before there is tightly wrapped and bundled with not much apparent slack to work with.
    Bummer !

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Best stereo upgrade so far is a good windshield and stock pipes !
    I'd give you a +1 for windscreen and add +1 for AVC.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    I'd give you a +1 for windscreen and add +1 for AVC.
    The AVC set to HIGH seems to kick in kind of late on my bike (with the short shield). I will have to play with it some more with the new shield.

Don't really care for the AVC. My thomb on the volume works just fine. Before I did the stero mods, the AVC seemed it would get too low at lower speeds or be too loud at higher speeds. Actually haven't tried it since doing the upgrade thing.

Just did a speaker swap with j&m and a 11 inch baggershield.....the screen made the difference more than the speakers......less tinny sounding but not much more performance.they are also on backorder til sept.

Haven't heard the J&M but I wouldn't expect much from them. I have Polk Audio MM series component speakers with the addition of a aftermarket amplifier and also a sub.

Project complete! I bought the 5.5 Polk speakers and made frames from plywood. Put the left crossover under the left compartment and put both the amplifier and the right crossover in the right compartment. Now I just need to give it a go on a ride. In the garage with earplugs in I didn't detect any noticeable increase in volume, but a road test will be the best judge.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    Project complete! I bought the 5.5 Polk speakers and made frames from plywood. Put the left crossover under the left compartment and put both the amplifier and the right crossover in the right compartment. Now I just need to give it a go on a ride. In the garage with earplugs in I didn't detect any noticeable increase in volume, but a road test will be the best judge.
    Make sure you don't have the switch on the crossovers set for the -3 db cut. If you have everything hooked up as I do, you should have a tremendous difference. I measured over twice as loud than with the OEM amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Make sure you don't have the switch on the crossovers set for the -3 db cut. If you have everything hooked up as I do, you should have a tremendous difference. I measured over twice as loud than with the OEM amplifier.
    So, I've been able to do my road test, so here is a report:

First, a summary of my installation:
    1. Polk DB 5251, no sub woofer, used existing tweeters
    2. NVX MVPA4 amp
    3. Connected via headset plug

So, the volume is definitely higher than the original. Jimmy measured 2x, but I would guess 1.5x in my case.

AVC no longer works; I'm guessing that AVC only works when speakers are chosen as the output; but not when headset is chosen.

Sound quality is not as good, probably because I did not install a sub woofer.

So, would I do it again knowing what I now know? Jury is still out.
    Will I uninstall? Definitely not, I really wanted the extra volume.

Wish it sounded a little bit better, but I'll get used to it.