Tire Repair Kit?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Repair Kit?

Tire Repair Kit?

Ok, I'm a rookie I admit it. I long ride for me is 150 miles. I'm going to Maine in 20 days and it's going to be about 400 miles that day to get there. That's nothing for you REAL riders.
    I'm probably just over preparing but here is my question...
    Do you guys that drive on long tours carry a tire repair kit or am I worrying about nothing?
    I will be riding 2up plus luggage.

Cheap Insurance

You can buy a Tire Plug Kit at almost any Auto Store or Wally World for less than $10.00. They are small in size and absolutely priceless when you need one. I have the Slime Kit which includes a small 12 volt air compressor

Cool

In forty years of riding I have never been left on the side of the rode...now typing this it will be my turn...nothing wrong with being prepared!

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/T.../p/42095_00000
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

If you're riding in a small group make sure one carries tire repair supplies. If not in a group then it's up to you to be prepared. My last tire puncture was in 2005 while on a multi-state trip and roadside repair saved the day.

DarkKnight...er...Rookie...er...DarkKnight, rather than make a joke about Steve and Greg never even being to Maine in their lifetime, so they would not know to avoid hitting the occassional moose-turd...or that Bob can intentionally run over the Maine sized moose-turds because his CT on the back will leave a nice thread pattern in the moose-turd...let me be serious and say that I use...and have used for more than 43 years...the Stop 'n Go Tire Plug Gun Kit. (in the old days, before Steve started riding, it was just wooden tooth picks we stuck in tires).

I honestly never leave home without it...really...so I carry my Stop n' Go Tire Plug Gun Kit, and a Cycle Pump, everywhere I go, and like my brother from another mother, that now lives in Florida, I have never been left stranded on the side of the road. I have helped many other riders with this same Plug Gun Kit, and have even bought 10 sets of this every year and give them out to fellow riders as gifts.

http://wingstuff.com/products/3915-s...?from_search=1

I have this air pump in my motorcycle shop, just sitting on one of the shelves, as a back up:

http://wingstuff.com/products/20123-...?from_search=1

But this is the Cycle Pump that I use...have had it for more than 10 years...works perfect.

http://www.aerostich.com/cycle-pump-air-compressor.html

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    I got the "stop and go" off of Amazon and it has everything you need in it for a complete tire repair. I wouldn't get to worried about brand names if I were you. I've owned several different kits and they were basically all the same. The compressors are all the same made in China crap in all the kits.

I carry my Coach.net card. It provides roadside assistance for everything I own from my Winnebago to my F6B.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tyre repair

Use the fiber twist type. The steel belts in the tire will cut the rubber plug in half and it will pop out. Watch for moose poop.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupF6B View Post
    The compressors are all the same made in China crap in all the kits.

Er...what did you say ? The Cycle Pump listed above is made in the US of A. I know, because a guy up in the Seattle area is the one that invented this particular pump, and I bought mine from him many years ago.

As stated on the Aerostich website regardindg this Cycle Pump: "The CyclePump is proudly made in the USA from precision crafted aircraft-grade aluminum alloys. We don't use fragile plastic components that can easily break when you drop it on the ground. We've armored the switch and other components so the unit is virtually indestructible. It's truly ready for an around-the-world expedition."

Not everything is made in China these days

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Er...what did you say ? The Cycle Pump listed above is made in the US of A. I know, because a guy up in the Seattle area is the one that invented this particular pump, and I bought mine from him many years ago.

As stated on the Aerostich website regardindg this Cycle Pump: "The CyclePump is proudly made in the USA from precision crafted aircraft-grade aluminum alloys. We don't use fragile plastic components that can easily break when you drop it on the ground. We've armored the switch and other components so the unit is virtually indestructible. It's truly ready for an around-the-world expedition."

Not everything is made in China these days
    Let me try that again....all of the pumps that don't cost $100 just for the compressor itself that come in a kit for $60 or less will be the same made in China plastic crap. I stand corrected Miles......