F6B quality issues?

Thread: F6B quality issues?

F6B quality issues?

This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought a 2013 new F6B and rode it 120 miles to my home. Love the bike other than needs a better windshield. But when I was cleaning it later that week I noticed a couple of issues.

1. An apparent oil leak on the left side of the engine on top of what I think is the valve cover.

Attachment 12256

2. On the right side of the engine there is a loose piece of metal. Looks like it is just there to hide a weld in the engine. But it moved when I touched it cleaning the bike. There is a piece of adhesive tape under it that looks like is supposed to hold it in place. I can probably fix this by adding another piece of adhesive tape.

Attachment 12257

Has anyone else seen these particular issues? My main concern is the oil leak.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty57 View Post
    This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought a 2013 new F6B and rode it 120 miles to my home. Love the bike other than needs a better windshield. But when I was cleaning it later that week I noticed a couple of issues.

1. An apparent oil leak on the left side of the engine on top of what I think is the valve cover.

Attachment 12256

2. On the right side of the engine there is a loose piece of metal. Looks like it is just there to hide a weld in the engine. But it moved when I touched it cleaning the bike. There is a piece of adhesive tape under it that looks like is supposed to hold it in place. I can probably fix this by adding another piece of adhesive tape.

Attachment 12257

Has anyone else seen these particular issues? My main concern is the oil leak.

Thanks in advance.
    Item 1 - I have never had an oil leak there on all the Gold Wings I've owned........might be from when the Dealer serviced the bike before the sale....pure speculation on my part.

Item 2 - I think that piece is there to hide the weld, as you say.........I put a thicker piece of double sided tape on both of mine just to make sure I didn't loose them somewhere.

Hope that helps!!
    Ride Safe....But Often!!!

Huh. interesting.

Item 1 is hopefully just something that got spilled onto the bike? The crankcase breather is tucked back in there; if it's clogged, some oil could seep out if there's an opening in the hoses.

Item 2 I never noticed, but just went outside and checked. Sure enough it's just a loose cover attached to the frame rail! No biggie; new 3M double sided tape and you're back in business.

That plastic cover over the frame weld is held on at the top with a tiny plastic pin, you will probably need a new one (get two) from the dealer, and use Scotch Extreme mounting tape on the back of the cover to make it stick to the frame.

I think 2013 is the only year to get the weld covers. You could remove both of them for a more modern look!
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

just covers the welds...mine loose too....no biggie....a dab of silicone and back on...

Wipe it off, check the oil level and monitor.
    The weld cover and double sided tape is an issue??

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I wouldn't sweat it...

Had several Goldwing's before the F6B and have observed the following on all of them:

1) The "oil leak" usually, really, isn't. Seems like Honda uses some kind of "preservative" on the engine bits. First couple of times the engine gets hot, a bit may "cook off" and/or drip, usually off the bottom of the valve covers. After the first wash or wipedown, it's gone. (though you can still smell it for a while if you garage it hot)

They also use a very generous amount of grease on the side stand pivot, which seems to drop/blow back. Give it a good wipedown.

I guess they expect the dealer to give it a good wash up when they put it on the floor, but most don't.

2) That plastic bit has come loose on ALL my GW's! As a matter of fact, when I took delivery of mine I made the service manager re-stick that bit back since it was loose (also loose on every other GW on their floor). I was expecting it!

But those are the ONLY real issues I have ever noticed on them. Compared to a lot of other vehicles, pretty minor stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_A View Post
    Had several Goldwing's before the F6B and have observed the following on all of them:

1) The "oil leak" usually, really, isn't. Seems like Honda uses some kind of "preservative" on the engine bits. First couple of times the engine gets hot, a bit may "cook off" and/or drip, usually off the bottom of the valve covers. After the first wash or wipedown, it's gone. (though you can still smell it for a while if you garage it hot)

They also use a very generous amount of grease on the side stand pivot, which seems to drop/blow back. Give it a good wipedown.

I guess they expect the dealer to give it a good wash up when they put it on the floor, but most don't.

2) That plastic bit has come loose on ALL my GW's! As a matter of fact, when I took delivery of mine I made the service manager re-stick that bit back since it was loose (also loose on every other GW on their floor). I was expecting it!

But those are the ONLY real issues I have ever noticed on them. Compared to a lot of other vehicles, pretty minor stuff.
    I had the very same things on mine when it was new. The oil leak wasn't a leak and was exactly as described above. The weld covers? 3m tape fixes anything.