Is Road Glide a good touring bike.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Road Glide a good touring bike.

Is Road Glide a good touring bike.

The only Harley I ever owned was 883 and I hated it. Any of U guys have any experience with Road glide ? I also had Vic Cross Country for 6 months and did not like it. Stiff clutch, sluggish acceleration and handlebars annoyed me, so I sold the Vic and bought F6 last summer. I like the F6 so far and it's with dealer getting lowered progressive front forks and Rocky's risers. I hope I like it after those mods. If I'm happy I'll go for Aussie cruise ctrl and keep riding it. Other options I'm thinking about are Chieftain, Road Glide, and Vision.

I've had 6 bikes in last 2 yrs and of all I've enjoyed the motor of F6 the most.

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    The only Harley I ever owned was 883 and I hated it. Any of U guys have any experience with Road glide ? I also had Vic Cross Country for 6 months and did not like it. Stiff clutch, sluggish acceleration and handlebars annoyed me, so I sold the Vic and bought F6 last summer. I like the F6 so far and it's with dealer getting lowered progressive front forks and Rocky's risers. I hope I like it after those mods. If I'm happy I'll go for Aussie cruise ctrl and keep riding it. Other options I'm thinking about are Chieftain, Road Glide, and Vision.
    I've had 6 bikes in last 2 yrs and of all I've enjoyed the motor of F6 the most.
    You're gonna get a wide spectrum of responses on that question.

First what's your definition of "touring"? to some is is a short jaunt of several hours, to others is is several days or weeks.

Simply answered, the Road Glide is good touring bike if you want to "tour" to the ice cream store and back on a Sunday once a month, and you have a boat load of cash for repair and maintenance.
    If you want a "Touring Bike," you want a water-cooled bike with a shaft drive, smooth engine, service and maintenance that won't break the bank, etc.

OK, now let's hear the opposing point-of-view.

Its a GREAT touring bike. 700-1000 mile days are easy to do on the road glide. 45 MPG if not in a race.
    "Current Stable"
    2013 F6B - black
    2006 Harley Davidson Screamin' Eagle CVO Ultra
    2009 KLR 650
    2003 Harley Davidson FLSTSI
    2003 Harley Davidson FLSTSI (yup, 2)
    2001 Harley Davidson FXDXT
    2006 Aprilia Scarabeo 500GT
    1981 Hondamatic 400
    1980 Yamaha Exciter 250
    1973 Honda CB360
    2009 Yamaha C3

shooter
    You already own a great touring bike.

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post

I thought you moved to West Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I thought you moved to West Virginia
    I did. I'm In Beckley and bike is still at station park Honda, Louisville getting progressive lower front forks. I may go pick it up next month when it starts to warm up a bit. Hopefully lower forks and rocky risers do the trick. I had kury risers and it did not work for me.

As an ex-Harley owner an an Ex-Victory owner, my only comments would be that if you were not happy with a Cross Country then you will not be Happy with a Road Glide. The Vision is better than either but the B has them all covered in my opinion. Sounds to me like you are one of those guys who like a different bike twice a year. I was one of those, too.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RG

I've owned two Road Glides one standard and one CVO. I now own an F6B which I like because the F6 reminds me of the RG. I prefer the stability that the frame mounted fairing provides. I had no complaints with my RG's.

shooter
    Not trying to be ignorant here. I'm serious. If you want info on a HD you would be better off on an HD site. A Honda site is not the info capital for HD. Like I said , I'm proud you're here but the info may be better elsewhere.

The changes they have made to the new RG are amazing. The three vents on the fairing create a really smooth riding experience. The RG has always been my dream bike, until Honda came out with the F6B.

After owning a Street Glide, I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another HD touring bike. The maintenance complexity and costs are insane. The Honda is a dream to own and maintain. I don't know if I could go back.

I also have a Sportster for fun on the weekends when I'm not riding the 6. Sportsters are a lot more reliable and easier to maintain.