The hard way - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The hard way

I think you had that little pause in F6B ownership just get get a better paint job and cruise control??

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    Looks like u had the rushmore bike. I thought project rushmore bikes were really good. I knw they vibrate a lot but I read rushmore bikes had good torque and are smooth once you start rolling.
    Yes I do and it's not as bad is my 07 I had but to only be able to pull 81hp and 100ftlb after new exhaust, tuner and air kit is pretty ridiculous. (At the rear wheel). The suspension only has 2" of travel in the back and can feel every little imperfection in the road and (my arse) not to mention the death wobble that was supposed to be taken care of with the new frames in 09 and then again this last year with the Rushmore upgrades, I still fear for my life going around a long hard sweeper especially with any kind of bumps or dips in it.

Quote Originally Posted by wylbur78 View Post
    Yes I do and it's not as bad is my 07 I had but to only be able to pull 81hp and 100ftlb after new exhaust, tuner and air kit is pretty ridiculous. (At the rear wheel). The suspension only has 2" of travel in the back and can feel every little imperfection in the road and (my arse) not to mention the death wobble that was supposed to be taken care of with the new frames in 09 and then again this last year with the Rushmore upgrades, I still fear for my life going around a long hard sweeper especially with any kind of bumps or dips in it.
    Thats's really sad that we spend so much money and get less in return. I still remember when I bought my first Harley, Iron 883. It was my first week and I was really feeling good about the Harley. I called my friend and we decided to go for a short ride. We rode less than 100 miles. I got off the motorcycle and I cud not even take a single step. It was so painful. I felt like someone just hit me in the stomach. I did not realize what happened. I thought all motorcycles are like that and my body will get used to it. Only later I realized how terrible Harley suspension is. I am not a big fan of front suspension on F6B either. IT's plain shitty. But better than Harley.

What is the general perception of the Goldwing and F6B in the Harley circles that you guys run in?

Thats what trips me about about all the HD haters that obsessively post here about Harleys. Harley guys on Harley forums or out in the wild don't care about GWs. If thats what you want, buy one they say and I say. I have not heard many, if any try, to down play the performance or quality of the Goldwings, Just a whole lot of people find there is more than "appliance like" reliability to riding. Ive had BMWs and Hondas and Harleys. I know reliability and performance. But I traded F6B for another Harley. Its what I like. Some are fortunate to be able to have both. No matter which forum I am on, you will not here me bash either, and I won't tell anyone they should buy one over another. I will answer questions to why I switched and what was good for me.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

C'mon now, there's certainly a snobbery vein shared in Harley circles... "if you don't ride a Harley, ya ain't riding".

Maybe a little.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Guess I'm with chipmaker. I am lucky enough to own a 13 F6B and a 2001 Wide Glide CVO. I've had a number of Harleys and have never had a breakdown or even an oil leak. Ridden them all over on ironbutt trips to
    Idaho and back. Never ever a problem. I ride both of these bikes on a regular basis when the weather cooperates. I have both bikes for the simple fact I like bikes. They all offer some good sides and each have a
    bad side here and there.

I went to the GWRRA rally in Wisconsin last year on my B. I am not of member of that organization, not my thing, and was surprised by how much conversation was Harley bashing. I was also amazed at the average age
    of a Goldwing owner is about 118.

I also went to a local Harley hog function last year, not a member, not my thing, and listened to Harley people talking about Harley's. I rode my B to that function and was wearing a Harley t-shirt. Lots of questions, lots of
    conversation and not any Honda bashing. Was welcomed with open arms. Took me by surprise. My son was riding my CVO that day.

Does it really matter what we ride as long we are able to ride?

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    Thats what trips me about about all the HD haters that obsessively post here about Harleys. Harley guys on Harley forums or out in the wild don't care about GWs. If thats what you want, buy one they say and I say. I have not heard many, if any try, to down play the performance or quality of the Goldwings, Just a whole lot of people find there is more than "appliance like" reliability to riding. Ive had BMWs and Hondas and Harleys. I know reliability and performance. But I traded F6B for another Harley. Its what I like. Some are fortunate to be able to have both. No matter which forum I am on, you will not here me bash either, and I won't tell anyone they should buy one over another. I will answer questions to why I switched and what was good for me.
    Yeah, I got to call BS a little here. Been around motorcycles my whole life and there has been a long time ("snobbery" is putting it mildly ) angst by Harley riders against anything not Harley. Not saying all of them. I ride with a lot of Harley riders in the CVMA and call them brothers and sisters and they the same towards me. Even among my brethren , there is a bit of teasing. All in good fun, but I've witnessed "jap" bikes being thrashed and mutilated. As far as Wing riders talking trash against HD, i has a lot to do with the defensive reaction to years of taunts from the other way. Just my experience. I personally don't care what anyone rides. I like the looks of most Harleys and my desire for one ended when Honda came out with the original Valkyrie. Something in me just likes being different from the pack,and to ride around here, that means riding against the grain and not riding a Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Yeah, I got to call BS a little here. Been around motorcycles my whole life and there has been a long time ("snobbery" is putting it mildly ) angst by Harley riders against anything not Harley. Not saying all of them. I ride with a lot of Harley riders in the CVMA and call them brothers and sisters and they the same towards me. Even among my brethren , there is a bit of teasing. All in good fun, but I've witnessed "jap" bikes being thrashed and mutilated. As far as Wing riders talking trash against HD, i has a lot to do with the defensive reaction to years of taunts from the other way. Just my experience. I personally don't care what anyone rides. I like the looks of most Harleys and my desire for one ended when Honda came out with the original Valkyrie. Something in me just likes being different from the pack,and to ride around here, that means riding against the grain and not riding a Harley.
    I'm young compared to alot of people on these forums and riders, only 37 as of today, and have been riding "All" of my life with the exception of a couple of years. Don't get me wrong I Love the looks of the Street Glide and of the new Road Glide and as i stated it rides better than my 07 did but it still feels like there's a disconnect somewhere, maybe it's due to me have owned and ridden other bikes besides Harley's (I'm not a Harley Lifer) as such a 2011 Yamaha FZ1 which is a naked sport bike, a Vulcan back in my early 20's and ever a GSXR750 at 18 and I've owned 2 sporty's one with a solid mounted motor that i couldn't stand and the other rubber mounted which was better. I have also ridden several of my buddy's bike over a course of time as well which ranged from Buell's and Honda's, so as we all can see I've been pretty diverse but something about the sound of a twin especially a Harley is just something that is not repeatable, I'm not a Harley Basher what so ever, if they would ever fix the suspension and frame issues on their tourers i would buy another in a heart beat, but until then I'm done with them.

As far as the trash talking with Harley riders goes, I will agree to a point that it really depends on what kind of (Harley Riding Group) you get around as to the amount of trash talking goes with other brands, I've been around some that will bash anything that doesn't say Harley on it somewhere, even if it's and Indian or Victory which are American Owned Companies, and others that say hey as long as you're riding we don't care. Some hard core Clubs are even getting to where they will allow Victory's and Indians in their clubs due to them being American Company owned Bikes. I'm mainly wanting to switch due to wanting more power and a better ride without spending a fortune to get it out of my Harley. This one is good Just thought about it. When I was getting my pipes and stuff done, Harley now offers a Stage 4 kit that will out perform their Screaming Eagle that cost almost $40000, but the kit is still around $6500 to install and will only get you around 100-105hp and around 110-115ftlb at the rear wheel is the claim, so you're still looking at $30k-$35k for what you can get on a F6B/Goldwing or ever a Sport Tourer with a crappier ride to boot.