The hard way - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The hard way

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    What is the general perception of the Goldwing and F6B in the Harley circles that you guys run in?
    I think it has to do with how the person who owns the bike is perceived by the immediate group.
    I teach the MSF course; the range is in the parking lot at my place of employ.
    I am known to many at my workplace as "the motorcycle guy."
    But more importantly, I believe, is that I am also known as a "rider" first, and any "brand name loyalty" is a tertiary, near meaningless application.

I am a Lifetime HOG member, but I don't play with the local Chapters.
    I was a GWRRA member.

The '81 Wing, '73 Ironhead, 95 Heritage, 98 Valk, and '14 F6B have all been in my parking spot. People seemingly oooh and ahhh regardless.
    Found a "V-Twin" magazine on the seat of the Valk one day. Co-worker told me it was a joke he was playing....lol.
    We have civil discussions about brands, etc. Although when the float valve on the '73 failed and she drained her entire tank on the asphalt, that was "less than optimal" but there was no shortage of people who were there to help clean up the mess.

I'm fortunate to work and associate with people who look and appreciate me first, and then my "Euro-biker" stylings (BMG gear) OR my "pirate outfits" as merely cosmetics.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by wantone View Post
    Thats's really sad that we spend so much money and get less in return. I still remember when I bought my first Harley, Iron 883. It was my first week and I was really feeling good about the Harley. I called my friend and we decided to go for a short ride. We rode less than 100 miles. I got off the motorcycle and I cud not even take a single step. It was so painful. I felt like someone just hit me in the stomach. I did not realize what happened. I thought all motorcycles are like that and my body will get used to it. Only later I realized how terrible Harley suspension is. I am not a big fan of front suspension on F6B either. IT's plain shitty. But better than Harley.
    How so with the front suspension on the F6B? whats so shitty about it? Stiff, soft, wayward? how does the suspension on the Goldwings and the F6B hold up over time?

Quote Originally Posted by wylbur78 View Post
    Yes I do and it's not as bad is my 07 I had but to only be able to pull 81hp and 100ftlb after new exhaust, tuner and air kit is pretty ridiculous. (At the rear wheel). The suspension only has 2" of travel in the back and can feel every little imperfection in the road and (my arse) not to mention the death wobble that was supposed to be taken care of with the new frames in 09 and then again this last year with the Rushmore upgrades, I still fear for my life going around a long hard sweeper especially with any kind of bumps or dips in it.
    Michelin Commander II's will fix that. My 07 SG rode like a wet noodle until I got the Michelins! I still couldn't wait to get rid of the POS. Almost two years on my F6B and I still love it!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Michelin Commander II's will fix that. My 07 SG rode like a wet noodle until I got the Michelins! I still couldn't wait to get rid of the POS. Almost two years on my F6B and I still love it!
    That's good to know for future... How's the front suspension on your F6B holding up? Any Issues? Ride quality fron and rear?

Quote Originally Posted by wylbur78 View Post
    That's good to know for future... How's the front suspension on your F6B holding up? Any Issues? Ride quality fron and rear?
    Suspension has been great for me. I added a Superbrace fork brace for more high speed stability and it works great. Makes the bike feel tighter.

Took a trip last summer with the wife and a few days of gear. Rear preload at half and no handling or bottoming out issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Suspension has been great for me. I added a Superbrace fork brace for more high speed stability and it works great. Makes the bike feel tighter.
    I also added a SuperBrace. Made the Smokey Mountains LOTS of fun.
    The handlebar wobble (no hands on the grips) between 34-42 mph is a bit disconcerting though.
    Not a SuperBrace issue. Was there before and after installation.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    The handlebar wobble (no hands on the grips) between 34-42 mph is a bit disconcerting though.
    Not a SuperBrace issue. Was there before and after installation.
    I haven't had that issue. (knock on wood)

Love these threads!

I know nothing about a wobble though my Superbrace is in the mail right now. That goes for the HD and B. I am like a bunch of you guys. I owned Harleys for about a decade. Can't really say much bad about them, other than the attitude of some of their riders-- and let me emphisize the word SOME-- as in not all. Hey, I was one of them too. I just wanted out of the V Twin thing. I think HD riders resent the V Twin imatation--of which the Wing and B are not. As for throwing out a lot of lip at riders of all sorts, I like to make fun of everything, myself included. If you are so serious that you can't laugh at a bike or anything else, you lead a sad life. BTW-- As I said about my Sportster 883 when I first did my long ride-- There is a reason they put a 2 gallon tank on the Sporster--you are going to need a break every hour so they built it right into the tank.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Love these threads!

I know nothing about a wobble though my Superbrace is in the mail right now. That goes for the HD and B. I am like a bunch of you guys. I owned Harleys for about a decade. Can't really say much bad about them, other than the attitude of some of their riders-- and let me emphisize the word SOME-- as in not all. Hey, I was one of them too. I just wanted out of the V Twin thing. I think HD riders resent the V Twin imatation--of which the Wing and B are not. As for throwing out a lot of lip at riders of all sorts, I like to make fun of everything, myself included. If you are so serious that you can't laugh at a bike or anything else, you lead a sad life. BTW-- As I said about my Sportster 883 when I first did my long ride-- There is a reason they put a 2 gallon tank on the Sporster--you are going to need a break every hour so they built it right into the tank.
    Taking ones hands off the handle bars at any speed, on any motorcycle, is just asking for trouble period...I don't care what your reasons are it has no grounds for common sense in my opinion....As many others have commented, I likewise got tired of the old V-Twin experience after owning a 99 Valkyrie, then a VTX, a couple of Victory's I went to the F6B and it is without a doubt the best choice for me..Love the power, smoothness, handling, reliability, and just the general feel of the bike.....I'm sticking with it for quite a while if all works out....Ride safe...

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Taking ones hands off the handle bars at any speed, on any motorcycle, is just asking for trouble period...I don't care what your reasons are it has no grounds for common sense in my opinion....
    Well, I cannot argue that point, but when I can feel it with my hands gripping normally (I do not squeeze the black out of my grips) and then relaxing even further, the wobble starts in, the grips travel 1.5" to 2".
    Only in that speed range.
    It's what test pilots do, I guess.
    Drives engineers and maintainers nuts.
    If no one else has experienced this, I understand, per the reason above.
    No worries.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce