Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
Be prepared to be shocked! the C/T patch is 2 or 3 times bigger! Not to mention when the bike is straight up, the patch is 10 times bigger. You have the whole width of the C/T on the ground and with the bike tire, you have a 50 cent sized patch on the road. Ask yourself, which one will stop the quickest? Not to mention, there is a taller sidewall on the car tire which equates to a little more sidewall flex that produces a softer ride, I can go on and on but that is several reasons why I like them. Better dry and wet grip, longer tire life, smoother ride, shorter stopping distance, and cheaper.
Even though I interact with Tire Engineers every day (Don't ask them what they think) I am interested in running a car tire but have not been able to get this question answered. Could this increased contact patch contribute to hydroplaning? I ask because on the final night of the IBA Rally one rider using a CT went down with this report:

"The rider is going to be fine with only a broken right collar bone to show for a low-side crash and tumble on I-95 south of Fredericksburg, VA early this morning. His recollection is that the storm passed through ahead of him and the pavement was excessively wet. He remembers cruising at highway speed with the intention of returning to rally HQ with all of his booty collected for the leg. He had plenty of time and had stopped for an hour rest at a rest area before the accident, and had time for more stops when needed (I talked to him on the phone when he woke up in the rest area and he sounded good and ready to finish his ride). He said, “the back end of the bike started to come around from a loss of traction”. He does not know what caused the loss of traction, but he and the bike came to rest on the highway."

I have tried to get additional information but have not been successful. It could have been caused by many factors.
I found this contact patch comparison on another forum. It looks to me that the CT contact patch is asymmetric and would not have as smooth of a transition but you probably just have to get used to it. Big Dawg I really appreciate your input and can't wait for the report from the car tire virgin, Miles.