[QUOTE=stroguy;72224]
Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
It would be pretty difficult to ban water sports activities and prescription meds, which both have a positive purpose for society.

Handguns? Positive purpose? I don't think so. /QUOTE]

No positive purpose, really? none....whatsoever? OK.

What if I told you I get just as much fun and freedom and satisfaction from going to the range as I do from water skiing?

We don't have to ban watersports, just personal swimming pools and have mandatory swimming training and life vests supplied to all citizens and no swimming without lifeguards.

Handguns have no positive purpose? Are you sure?

If I go for stroll down to the park and I hear a 300# thug with a knife is raping your daughter would you prefer me to have a phone and standby, a stick or my handgun?
Stroguy,

You won't convince him, so there is no use in trying. His background, and present, and future, are much different than yours and mine. You and I both live in Spring, so we've likely been at SGA a time or two at the same time. I can tell you that you make good points, but we have simply grown up differently with different expectations. No way you'd get this fellow into SGA or out onto a 1000 yd firing line at Bayou Rifles. He won't read anything from this forum and have an epiphany. Quite the opposite, more likey. (I am married to a woman from Illinois who grew up with a fear of firearms. After 15 years, she is comfortable with a handgun, and shoots trap very respectably.) Keep trying though, I enjoy reading all this stuff and you are well spoken.

By the way, my wife was strolling around our neighborhood in February and found herself looking down the barrel of an XD. The two thugs wanted her headphones and her phone. The deputy dispatched to investigate told her that there was not much they could do to help, so I called some folks I knew at Harris County. The one with the pistol wore a pink hoodie. Pink. He was caught within a couple of hours, and she made a positive id. The gun, two it turned out, as an Airsoft pistol. It looked real. They told her not to think about that since next time it could be the real deal. We are in the process now of getting her proficiency up, a pistol selected, and her CHL. What a gal. This kind of thing is why I feel the need to stack the deck a bit. And do.

Good shooting,

Bill Strange