Curious about CA riding and Lane Splitting

Thread: Curious about CA riding and Lane Splitting

Curious about CA riding and Lane Splitting

I was just out in the bay area/santa cruz on a family vacation, so no riding time, but I didnt have a choice but to notice while I was sitting in Traffic every motorcycle I saw was driving between me and the car next to me. Its been a while since I have been out west so was just curious if this is just how things are done and expected by everyone in a car to stay out of there way or if there is an actual law in CA that permits it?

It's legal in CA. I have done it, but only at low speed myself, and wasn't comfortable at that. No margin for error at speed. It's not me I'm worried about, it's the dudes in the cars.

Yes, it is legal in California. The rider is only supposed to go up to 10 mph faster while passing during lane splitting. And it is generally only done in the HOV lane or between lanes one and two. The rider just has to be cautious when cars change lanes. Some drivers tend to be envious of riders lane splitting so they purposely block our path.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lane sharing

Living, working, and playing in the San Francisco bay area lane sharing is a blessing. I have the stock quiet pipes, but Loud lights, so cal hids, mp3 960's , and led hi beams. So when splitting the cages, it's like the red sea opening up. Reguardles of traffic a 50 mile trip in any direction in the bay is about 40 min. In a cage, hour and a 1/2 easy.

Lights on high beam, two fingers on front brake, eyes darting side to side and at lest 4 cars ahead.... I lane split(technically called "lane sharing") all the time and have all my life in Calif.
    Just a few yrs ago the CHP and DMV put out a notice how to do it safely, but in the last few months they have rescinded their recommendations, but have not outlawed it. http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...722-story.html

I heard they rescinded due to many SQUIDs going way to fast when lane splitting. It is not against the law to share a lane like when a cage at a stop while making a right turn and is way to the right in the lane and you see someone pull up next to them and is going to go straight that is okay. Where you can get in trouble with the law is doing it from the diamond lane which has a double yellow and you can not cross a double yellow line in Calif., but I see CHP motormen do it all the time, but don't try it I know from an issue I had with a CHP over it.
    You can share a lane in any other lane on the freeway though. Because it is legal to split lanes you do not have to wait in the back of the line at a stoplight or stopsign and smell all them cages exhaust, you can ride to the front of the line.
    A lot of cages will move over for ya if they see you and why I keep my high beams on when lane splitting, I try and give them a quick wave of recognition as I pass merry by...on my way.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Totally legal if done right. Go too fast, and you can be cited for reckless driving or unsafe lane change. People will move over to let you pass. Although some assholes will try to pinch you, which is why it's best to be alert and not go so fast. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the F6B splits lanes, it doesn't feel nearly as wide as I thought it would. I think I was a lot closer to getting pinched on the BMW R1200RT and may have tapped a rear view window or two.

Really helps not to be sucking exhaust fumes or worrying about the inattentive driver behind you. Too many squids do it too fast though, for sure. I've had to move into the lane to let them pass. Their funeral, though.
    2013 Honda F6B custom orange
    2009 Kawasaki Versys aka "Dr Doom"
    2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Stormtrooper"
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Yoda"