Driver's Backrest for stock seat - Utopia vs Smart Mount - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which driver's backrest do you have?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Utopia - I'd buy it again

17 42.50%
  • Utopia - I wouldn't buy it again

3 7.50%
  • Smart Mount - I'd buy it again

17 42.50%
  • Smart Mount - I wouldn't buy it again

3 7.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driver's Backrest for stock seat - Utopia vs Smart Mount

Quote Originally Posted by flat6bagger View Post
    Ok,still no one has answered my question.
    How do you keep water from seeping past the backrest and not soaking the seat foam?
    I don't, and it doesn't. Even with the backrest. The only way to get water in there is to force it.

Thanks hiflyer!
    I hesitated buying a backrest that you have to cut the seat because I didn't understand how it could possible seal enough to not let water get into the foam.
    I like the smart mount a ton better.
    The looks,style,everything about it.
    I had the Utopia backrest on my Royal Star Venture.
    I always felt it just didn't look like it belonged on the motorcycle,but was a nice backrest.
    They don't seem to care if their backrests look like the seats on the motorcycle they are designed for.
    To me it is the "one size fits all" mentality.
    That alone will keep me from buying one from them.

I have the Smart Mount and think it was the key mod to the correct ergonomics, fitting me to the bike or bike to me.
    I did a install write up somewhere and there are tons of pics in my gallery link below. About to order one for a friend with a new 6.
    Jim
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Hi,

Ordered show chrome, Utopia seems to large to me, don't like how it looks.

Had Utopia on the wing and very happy. But here it's a question of optic. Will report.

Regards
    Alex

I just ordered the Show Chrome Smart Mount from site sponsor Cruiser Customizing. It's on sale right now for $159.99 with your choice of free shipping (promo code SHIP99) or a $15 gift certificate (promo code CC3). I hope I like it!
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

Well, I installed the Smart Mount and ended up hating it. Even adjusted back as far as possible, I felt pushed too far forward. It gave me that same cramped feeling I had on the full Goldwing. If I could have had it back one more inch, I probably would have liked it. Look for it in the classified section soon.

In related news, I managed to cut my seat in the wrong place. So, I have two slits. Luckily, I already had a spare stock seat. I must have some how known this would happen. Look for a damaged seat in the classified section soon.

On the bright side, riding weather for tomorrow looks great!

Check out the thread I started about the smart mount driver backrest modification. I think you may be able to get it more comfortable. I don't know how to copy and paste the thread address on my phone but you should be able to find it under my threads.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
    Well, I installed the Smart Mount and ended up hating it. Even adjusted back as far as possible, I felt pushed too far forward. It gave me that same cramped feeling I had on the full Goldwing. If I could have had it back one more inch, I probably would have liked it. Look for it in the classified section soon.

In related news, I managed to cut my seat in the wrong place. So, I have two slits. Luckily, I already had a spare stock seat. I must have some how known this would happen. Look for a damaged seat in the classified section soon.

On the bright side, riding weather for tomorrow looks great!
    You know I've thought of adding one but I like the freedom of sliding back to the rise.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by toy_collector View Post
    Check out the thread I started about the smart mount driver backrest modification. I think you may be able to get it more comfortable. I don't know how to copy and paste the thread address on my phone but you should be able to find it under my threads.
    Thanks, I found the info. But, I decided to sell the backrest instead of modifying it. It's on its way to a forum member as I type.

I'm thinking of trying something like this if I get the itch to try a backrest again:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ku...k/part/KY-4143
    That particular one comes with backrest pads in three different thicknesses. I'll have to do some measuring to see if it would work for me. After my experience with the Smart Mount, I realized that I sit very far back in the saddle. Before I order anything, I'll put on my riding jacket and have my wife measure how much space is behind me. Lucky for me, she rides her own bike, so I don't have to worry about passenger accommodations.

two screws

This question is for the passenger seat, I just got my smart mount and really? Just two screw hold the pad, has anyone had a problem with that?