Big difference in gas mileage compared to GL1800
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big difference in gas mileage compared to GL1800

Big difference in gas mileage compared to GL1800

Yesterday was the first ride I did with a close friend on his 2012 GL1800. I actually lead and we were on both 2 lane highways & Interstate. I lead a fairly spirted 193 mile ride before my friends low fuel light nessicaited filling both bikes. Here is where I was surprised he held excalley 1 gal more fuel ! It figured 38.7 for my F6 and 31.6 for the GL. Actually I was really surprised my bike did this good with the wind yesterday and running 75-78 mph on the interstate. The only thing I can figure is he has the stock windshield on his GL and it is all the way to the top stop. He is 6'4" and it looks like a sail his windshield. My F6 has the 13" Cee Bailey with the vent and Baker Wings below the mirrors which were open. You guys here have any similar results.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

What year was the Goldwing ?
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.

Second sentence says 2012.

I see it now...I need a

It is about 75# heavier ....no to sure about the windshield making a difference...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

His tour pack/trunk causes more drag.
    On my other bike, I see the difference in mileage when I have the tour pack on compared to when it is off.

I get similar gas mileage on the F6B to my Goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by Doug44 View Post
    Yesterday was the first ride I did with a close friend on his 2012 GL1800. I actually lead and we were on both 2 lane highways & Interstate. I lead a fairly spirted 193 mile ride before my friends low fuel light nessicaited filling both bikes. Here is where I was surprised he held excalley 1 gal more fuel ! It figured 38.7 for my F6 and 31.6 for the GL. Actually I was really surprised my bike did this good with the wind yesterday and running 75-78 mph on the interstate. The only thing I can figure is he has the stock windshield on his GL and it is all the way to the top stop. He is 6'4" and it looks like a sail his windshield. My F6 has the 13" Cee Bailey with the vent and Baker Wings below the mirrors which were open. You guys here have any similar results.
    I am running the 19 inch bagger shield and my new deluxe is clicking off the miles at 38 miles to the gallon with just over 300 miles on the new motor.

MPG After Air Filter Change

Got the opportunity for a nice 126 mile trek yesterday. Topped the bike off at the very start and finished with a fill-up of 2.77 gal. If my calculator is correct that's 45.48 MPG. This is the first decent ride since changing my air filter. Was previously getting between 38/42 MPG in sunny warm Florida. Might be the summer blend of gas here in North Eastern Pa. Have another trip planned for today so I'll be checking the mileage again. Hopefully I'll have the same results

I found with my 12 Wing the MPG got better after 4k or so. I ran around 37, 38 most of the time. Less when pulling the trailer and carrying the wife and her stuff. I have averaged about the same with the 6. Hoping as the miles add up the MPG will go up a little. I filled up Sat and got 39.1 MPG