Easy Stereo Add-on

Thread: Easy Stereo Add-on

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Looks great. Painting the side covers makes it look much better. Like the matching profile mounting bracket.

Got any close-up picts of the 6.5" speaker install ? Would like to see how much trimming was necessary and any necessary spacers. Did you have to trim the dash grill ?
    Other than a pic with one of the woofers in the back ground. Yes a fair amount of trimming the speaker frame was needed. I used a Dremel with a sanding cylinder. And yes, the speakers come with an adapter plate that I used as a spacer along with some rubber gasket material that would compress and fill in any irregularities to seal the drivers in mounting. I have to say, I am pretty well versed at making things work and figuring things out, but I found mounting these speakers a pretty tight fit. They're done though and sound really nice . A bit more Bass ability than the 5.25" drivers. If I had to do it all over again, I might try harder to piece together a component speaker system with some 6" drivers.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Here is a link to the Clarion unit I used

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...rion-CMS2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    ... the speakers come with an adapter plate that I used as a spacer along with some rubber gasket material that would compress and fill in any irregularities to seal the drivers in mounting. ....
    Do you think you could have gotten by with a thinner gasket/adapter plate to seat the speakers deeper?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Do you think you could have gotten by with a thinner gasket/adapter plate to seat the speakers deeper?

TIA
    The quick answer is yes. The adapter plates that come with the speakers are not really ideal. They too have to be shaved down substantially to fit of coarse. A superior choice would be to make some adapter plates out of wood or solid ABS plastic in the proper thickness needed.
    The problem is the speaker basket / structure / spider hits inside of the speaker enclosure before the speaker sits flat so a spacer of some sort is needed.