Driver's Backrest for stock seat - Utopia vs Smart Mount

View Poll Results: Which driver's backrest do you have?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Utopia - I'd buy it again

17 42.50%
  • Utopia - I wouldn't buy it again

3 7.50%
  • Smart Mount - I'd buy it again

17 42.50%
  • Smart Mount - I wouldn't buy it again

3 7.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver's Backrest for stock seat - Utopia vs Smart Mount

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, I installed the Smart Mount and ended up hating it. Even adjusted back as far as possible, I felt pushed too far forward. It gave me that same cramped feeling I had on the full Goldwing. If I could have had it back one more inch, I probably would have liked it. Look for it in the classified section soon.

In related news, I managed to cut my seat in the wrong place. So, I have two slits. Luckily, I already had a spare stock seat. I must have some how known this would happen. Look for a damaged seat in the classified section soon.

On the bright side, riding weather for tomorrow looks great!
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

Check out the thread I started about the smart mount driver backrest modification. I think you may be able to get it more comfortable. I don't know how to copy and paste the thread address on my phone but you should be able to find it under my threads.

Quote Originally Posted by toy_collector View Post
    Check out the thread I started about the smart mount driver backrest modification. I think you may be able to get it more comfortable. I don't know how to copy and paste the thread address on my phone but you should be able to find it under my threads.
    Thanks, I found the info. But, I decided to sell the backrest instead of modifying it. It's on its way to a forum member as I type.

I'm thinking of trying something like this if I get the itch to try a backrest again:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ku...k/part/KY-4143
    That particular one comes with backrest pads in three different thicknesses. I'll have to do some measuring to see if it would work for me. After my experience with the Smart Mount, I realized that I sit very far back in the saddle. Before I order anything, I'll put on my riding jacket and have my wife measure how much space is behind me. Lucky for me, she rides her own bike, so I don't have to worry about passenger accommodations.
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

two screws

This question is for the passenger seat, I just got my smart mount and really? Just two screw hold the pad, has anyone had a problem with that?

Unhappy Have Utopia BUT.......

I have the Utopia, but have not been overly impressed with the quality. For one thing, the bolts that secure it to the seat pan are only 1/4". After a trip up to Lake Superior last fall, I noticed that the seat seemed to be loose. Inspection revealed that the bolts had both sheared off, probably from bumpy roads. After removing the broken off portions, I drilled and tapped the mount for 5/16" high strength bolts and all seems to be good. The second issue is that the mount on the pad itself was off center, and no way to move it. I had to make a wider bracket and use washers on one side to move the pad back to a centered position.

So a little re-engineering and it works well, wouldn't ride without it.

Smart Mount

The pad only needs two screws because it has a steel pan inside the pad that they fasten through.

Any long time users of the smart mount that dont feel cramped?
    I was going to install a Utopia,but cant get past the looks.
    Seems only two options for rider backrests.

Doug

Installed my new Show Chrome drivers backrest on Thursday, great improvement
    For my "old Guy Back". Now have used both, installation about the same, back relief
    About the same, don't. See much difference in either.
    Once a Marine, Always a Marine!
    Pain is Weakness leaving the Body,
    I would rather be Historically Accurate,
    Than Politically Correct!

Smart Mount with a twist

I went with the Smart Mount backrest with modifications. In "out of the box" configuration" and mounted per the instructions (there's really only one correct way), this backrest was too high (even in it's lowest setting) and too far rearward. As I needed more support in the lumbar area I did the modifications as seen in the attached pics. Took many attempts to get it perfect but after it was all said and done, it's great. This isn't a "one size fits all" backrest and as with many other things I had to modify it to fit my 6'2", 220lb body.

As seen, to move it forward, I made a spacer from 1" square aluminum tube, filled with 5 min epoxy for strength. Then, to get it low enough, I ended up turning the supplied bracket upside down. My lumbar area is now fully supported and it's good for an all day ride.

Nice clean job!

It looks like it is at a comfortable height to me. Enjoy!
    Albuquerque, NM