Fitted Madstad - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fitted Madstad

I've ended up drilling the base plate and moving the brackets down 2". This gives me a better range of movement for seeing over the screen when lowered but still goes up above my line of sight when it is all the way up. Been for a ride and i'm very happy with it. No turbulence and i even like the look.
    Attachment 14576Attachment 14577

Your F6B sure has that mirror thing going on !!!

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    SmallPasture, did you have to do much adjusting from the way the brackets were from the factory ? Put mine on today and will try a run tomorrow.
    Not much at all ChopTop.... I took just a bit out of the rake (Pushed it forward a bit) and I'm right as rain. That said, I'm 5'8" on a good day and I tend to slouch in the saddle. Overall I'm very, very pleased w/ the purchase!

I'm sure you will be too! Ride on my friend!
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

What windshield did you guys have before the Mastad? I have the F4 Customs 14" (with the vent & med tint) and I am very happy with it but for the price the Mastad might be worth trying. There is always room for improvement as I do get weird air conditions occasionally and have very mild buffeting but that is rare.

I also like the dark tint look. I think they are recommending the 11" size for me 5'8" is this what you guys think I should buy from your experience.
    So a 11" low dark tint windshield would take the look back closer to the stock look. (which is what I love but I need better air protection)

After you find your sweet spot do you ever change the position while riding (highway one setting / pull off on back roads and lower it)
    I have a Givi Windbender on my 81 Honda CB750K and love it. The best thing I ever bought for that bike. It seems very similar to the Mastad.

How do you like the Mastad look compared to a fixed windshield?

If you get better performance the look has to be secondary in my opinion.
    I am very close to ordering the Mastad windshield.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    What windshield did you guys have before the Mastad? I have the F4 Customs 14" (with the vent & med tint) and I am very happy with it but for the price the Mastad might be worth trying. There is always room for improvement as I do get weird air conditions occasionally and have very mild buffeting but that is rare.

I also like the dark tint look. I think they are recommending the 11" size for me 5'8" is this what you guys think I should buy from your experience.
    So a 11" low dark tint windshield would take the look back closer to the stock look. (which is what I love but I need better air protection)

After you find your sweet spot do you ever change the position while riding (highway one setting / pull off on back roads and lower it)
    I have a Givi Windbender on my 81 Honda CB750K and love it. The best thing I ever bought for that bike. It seems very similar to the Mastad.

How do you like the Mastad look compared to a fixed windshield?

If you get better performance the look has to be secondary in my opinion.
    I am very close to ordering the Mastad windshield.
    Steve
    Howdy Steve,
    I went from stock to Klockwerks 14" flare only to take it right back off as I'm to short (5'8"). I was looking right thru the flare thus giving me a fun house mirror effect. Not Good.

Then tried the BaggerShield, but again, I'm too short and the split was right at eye level. I do not like looking thru a shield so that was not going to work.

I hesitated on the Mastad simply because of the looks... didn't like it but kept reading how good the performance is. Now I'm a true believer of function over form! I'm back to a 1/2 helmet and I can hear the radio at Hwy speeds with no buffing. The split design all but eliminates the buffing. I have the 11" light smoke. I gotta admit I was worried when I put the mount plate on. It's solid black, no see thru so I was concerned about not seeing the nose of the bike. After 200 miles it's not an issue.

I have mine set just below eye level. I only adjusted the rake slightly from factory settings at first install and haven't had a need to mess with it since. I didn't go w/ the dark tint just because of parking lot issues at night. As I said I don't like to look thru a windshield and when I do need to (parking lot situations) the dark seemed to dark to look thru at night.

Hope this helps!
    SmallPasture!
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Quote Originally Posted by rumble-b View Post
    I've ended up drilling the base plate and moving the brackets down 2". This gives me a better range of movement for seeing over the screen when lowered but still goes up above my line of sight when it is all the way up. Been for a ride and i'm very happy with it. No turbulence and i even like the look.
    Attachment 14576Attachment 14577
    By drilling 2" down, do the 2 bottom nylon lock nuts have clearance over the dash ?

Also wondering if the top of the black base could then be lowered by 2 inches in the center for better visibility (for those that are under 6' 4").

Got mine tonight and the shield's hole pattern is different than the robo-brackets so I can't finish the install.

While sitting on the bike, the knobs are on the inside and the windshield tabs are on the outside. If the knobs could be swapped to the outside, they would visually line up with the windshield tabs and increase visibility. Only have the obstruction on the outside, not both inside and outside. Also, having the knobs on the outside would allow use of both knobs simultaneously without having to cross your arms. Seems like some logical ergonomic mods.

Looking good Rumble! I take it it's a mild winter so far?

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Looking good Rumble! I take it it's a mild winter so far?
    LOL Yes it's a mild winter by the standards of your U.S winters. Usually between 12 C ( 53 F ) to 17 C ( 62 F ) during the days with overnight temps of about 6 C ( 42 F ) to 10C (50 F ) We do get some rain though .

Oh, yeah that's no winter at all; just a respite from the heat

But, we get rain as well! That's winter right?