I pretty much agree with the previous posters except maybe in one area and that is the purpose and function of having lights mounted down low. (And, BTW, LED lights are definitely the way to go. They typically don't burn out and have much lower wattage ratings than their halogen counterparts. LED's have come a really long way in the past few years.) OK, back to the question of why you want accessory lights to begin with. Here's MY reason...I want to be conspicuous and I want to light up the road right in front of me. That latter part resulted years ago from running through an open man hole at 55 mph that I didn't see. After that, I installed Motolights on every bike I bought and that served me well. Of course, those were 35 watt halogens so they definitely were a drain on the electrical system. Today, there are several choices of LED driving lights to choose from. Some of these put out an incredible amount of light (lumens), especially considering the wattage. Be prepared to pay a bit of a premium though for these efficient bulbs.