FOG LIGHTS

Thread: FOG LIGHTS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Honda service dept. will take your money....and install anything you want!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Thank you Miles and Steve for the great suggestions, "ride like everyone is trying to kill you, because they are'

I pretty much agree with the previous posters except maybe in one area and that is the purpose and function of having lights mounted down low. (And, BTW, LED lights are definitely the way to go. They typically don't burn out and have much lower wattage ratings than their halogen counterparts. LED's have come a really long way in the past few years.) OK, back to the question of why you want accessory lights to begin with. Here's MY reason...I want to be conspicuous and I want to light up the road right in front of me. That latter part resulted years ago from running through an open man hole at 55 mph that I didn't see. After that, I installed Motolights on every bike I bought and that served me well. Of course, those were 35 watt halogens so they definitely were a drain on the electrical system. Today, there are several choices of LED driving lights to choose from. Some of these put out an incredible amount of light (lumens), especially considering the wattage. Be prepared to pay a bit of a premium though for these efficient bulbs.

An open man hole..HOLY SHIT,.that must have hurt!!! Glad ur still able to ride. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    An open man hole..HOLY SHIT,.that must have hurt!!! Glad ur still able to ride. Thanks for the advice.
    Yeah, it did. This happened several years ago at Bike Week in Daytona. A few drunk guys removed a man hole cover and waited to be entertained by the unlucky soul who didn't notice the open hole. After all, a man hole cover is black and so is an open hole. I hit the hole right of center which violently full-locked the front end to the left but thankfully, I didn't go down due to the speed. The main injury was hyper-extension of the ligaments in my right arm by instinctively trying to hold the handlebars straight.

And just to respond a bit more to Miles and his advice to mount lights up higher to see the road better right in front...he may be right in his opinion that higher mounting works best but I have used lower-mounted lights, like the Motolights mentioned earlier, and that has given me everything I needed. Usually, these lights were caliper-mounted. On the F6B, I just completed installation of the 960's in the lower cowl. I haven't tried them out at night yet but based on my past experience, I'm sure they will work fine.

[QUOTE=Hornblower. On the F6B, I just completed installation of the 960's in the lower cowl. I haven't tried them out at night yet but based on my past experience, I'm sure they will work fine.[/QUOTE]

So how did the install go? I am going to get these next month for my F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeman55 View Post
    So how did the install go? I am going to get these next month for my F6B.
    Without going into all of the details, I'll just say the install was successful. No doubt, there's a lot of light output, far more than most other available lights. I tend to be somewhat of a perfectionist, so the lower cowl went off and on several times as I adjusted the mounting brackets. In the end, the lights fit nicely into the irregular cowl openings and look good. In addition, the switch that comes with the kit fits perfectly into the radio panel. The entire setup is plug and play so compared to other more universal kits I've used in the past, this was quite convenient. In summary, I give this product a

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post

I want to light up the road right in front of me. That latter part resulted years ago from running through an open man hole at 55 mph that I didn't see. After that, I installed Motolights on every bike I bought and that served me well.

And that right there is why I say you should mount your aux. driving lights as high as possible, if you want to see farther down the road. Lights that are mounted low, as in the lower cowling area, will skim the road surface, creating shadows that make it difficult to distinquish between open man-holes, versus bumps in the road. If you do not have lights that are mounted high...then ypur lower lighting will cause the roadway to have shadows. If you mount your aux. driving lights as high as possible, that light then sees down...into the potholes, the open man-holes, the irregular road surfaces.

Motolights are...okay...and if mounted high, they can do a decent job. But the serious hard-core long distance riders that ride 1000 mile days, and into the night, or all night long, will run much higher output HID lights, mounted as high as they can, so that they see farther down the road, and can look down into all road surfaces. Then, there will be no shadows cast onto the road surface.