Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post

I want to light up the road right in front of me. That latter part resulted years ago from running through an open man hole at 55 mph that I didn't see. After that, I installed Motolights on every bike I bought and that served me well.

And that right there is why I say you should mount your aux. driving lights as high as possible, if you want to see farther down the road. Lights that are mounted low, as in the lower cowling area, will skim the road surface, creating shadows that make it difficult to distinquish between open man-holes, versus bumps in the road. If you do not have lights that are mounted high...then ypur lower lighting will cause the roadway to have shadows. If you mount your aux. driving lights as high as possible, that light then sees down...into the potholes, the open man-holes, the irregular road surfaces.

Motolights are...okay...and if mounted high, they can do a decent job. But the serious hard-core long distance riders that ride 1000 mile days, and into the night, or all night long, will run much higher output HID lights, mounted as high as they can, so that they see farther down the road, and can look down into all road surfaces. Then, there will be no shadows cast onto the road surface.