Next Gen Wing? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Gen Wing?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Looks like someone tried to put something like the Rune front end on a Wing which would have looked better than that one. IMO
    and yes those are Mini apes on that Rune.

Never thought that I would ever see someone make a Rune look small !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

I know you are going to find this hard to believe, but the Rune is a fairly nice canyon carver with a little more lean angle and a tad quicker than the F.... Not faster, but quicker with nice suspension, the front end is surprising pleasant and tight. With a very simple mod the sound of the Rune is awesome kinda like a Porch on steroids. I wish my F6B sounded like the Rune
    With the Rune's six 32 mm throttle bodies and different cams than the normal GL1800 and F6B use it makes gobs of low in torque. The only Honda quicker off the line IMO and up to about 40 MPH is the VTX1800, the Rune will beat the F to about 100 MPH then the F takes over. Now the full Goldwing is faster on the top end than both due to no top end limiter like our F has.
    The Rune is made for a small guy and I had to do a lot of mods to get one to fit me for touring which I did for a few years on the blue Rune with the Corbin bags.

One thing on my "to do" list in the future is put a set of Rune cams in my F and bore the throttle body out 2 more mm from 40 mm to 42 mm like I have done on my VTX1800 Turbo. Stock the VTX1800 throttle body is a 42 mm I took it to a 44 mm.
    The Rune's rake would seem to make that hard to believe, but having never owned one, I'm in no position to contest your comments... I'll just say that's very interesting and who woulda thunk! As someone who likes the ------r style but was afraid of loss of handling, the Rune sounds like something I'd consider.

I'm afraid to mess with throttle bodies; the one in my car is ULTRA sensitive to changes and very difficult to get a smooth tune afterwards. If you do that for the F, I hope you'll start a thread on it!

EDIT: Interesting... the auto correct is deleting the word c-r-u-i-s-e .

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    The Rune's rake would seem to make that hard to believe, but having never owned one, I'm in no position to contest your comments... I'll just say that's very interesting and who woulda thunk! As someone who likes the ------r style but was afraid of loss of handling, the Rune sounds like something I'd consider.

I'm afraid to mess with throttle bodies; the one in my car is ULTRA sensitive to changes and very difficult to get a smooth tune afterwards. If you do that for the F, I hope you'll start a thread on it!

EDIT: Interesting... the auto correct is deleting the word c-r-u-i-s-e .
    Hehe if ya ever get the chance... ride one, the Rune's handling will really surprise you.
    The Rune has a rake/trail of 29 degrees / 4.9 in. while the F6B has a rake/trail of 29.25 degrees / 4.3 in. so you see they are very close(looks are deceiving). Oh and the rune has a dry weight of 792 lbs. they handle amazingly about the same.
    The Rune front end is a trailing bottom-link with 3.9 inches of travel and the rear suspension is an adjustable Unit Pro-Link with single shock with 3.9 inches of travel(not much there).

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Hehe if ya ever get the chance... ride one, the Rune's handling will really surprise you.
    The Rune has a rake/trail of 29 degrees / 4.9 in. while the F6B has a rake/trail of 29.25 degrees / 4.3 in. so you see they are very close(looks are deceiving). Oh and the rune has a dry weight of 792 lbs. they handle amazingly about the same.
    The Rune front end is a trailing bottom-link with 3.9 inches of travel and the rear suspension is an adjustable Unit Pro-Link with single shock with 3.9 inches of travel(not much there).
    I've always wanted to try one, but I knew I'd be buying one if I did.
    Until recently, I didn't have the resources to supplement that.
    Not that I do now, but I'm a lot closer. If/when I sell the '95 Heritage, I'll try to get a Rune as a replacement, or maybe just get one anyway.
    Now I just got to find someone who has one for sale that's not interested in selling it to the Crown Prince of Persia.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Now I just got to find someone who has one for sale that's not interested in selling it to the Crown Prince of Persia.....
    I know what you mean, the Rune has gone up in value compared to what I paied for the four I bought in 2009 and 2010 If ya looked around then they could be had for $12,500 to $15,000 and I got one for with 12k miles for $9,000. Now they are going for $15,800 and way way up from there. The real issue is the price of parts, they are very expensive to repair if you damage anything. There is very little plastic on the Rune compared to the GL1800/F6B, the chrome work is second to none.

This is a quoit from now retired Senior Vice President of the American Honda Motorcycle Division Ray Blank about the Rune's concept “We wanted to extend this concept (a motorcycle based on the Valkyrie/Gold Wing power plant) once again and take another cutting-edge motorcycle into uncharted territory, establishing new directions that no other manufacturer had ever attempted. We wanted to set the bar higher than ever, erecting standards that no one else had yet imagined, while also exploding old limitations on what an original equipment manufacturer could mass produce.”

Ray Blank again: “You have to remember that Honda’s greatest strength is its engineering ability. Function, horsepower, performance, durability - a lot of very measurable qualities. But now here we were, championing the production of what was essentially a one-off custom special, a show bike with a whole set of gut-level aesthetic qualities that are impossible to measure.
    The Rune concept is extremely extravagant, because it places the highest priorities on style rather than measurable science and engineering, and that created challenges during product planning. It is a very emotional product. But when a gut feeling is so strong, avid motorcyclists can communicate with one another on a different level. We accomplished a lot on this new concept after hours, at restaurants, just motorcycle guys talking to each other, scribbling on napkins, waving our hands around.”

Each Rune left the American Honda Plant at Marysville, Ohio, costing the company a reported $100,000 - and sold for just a quarter of that price. Honda has got to get its money back somehow and therefore repairing a Rune is never going to be a cheap exercise http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/289/72...onda-rune.aspx
    and boy do I know that!.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Oh boy...
    http://lancaster.craigslist.org/--y/5061175651.html

put an M and a C where the two dashes are.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Link doesn't not work for me Steve.........I can assume.........buy,buy,buy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

where the 2 dashes are, put an 'm' and a 'c' and it should work.
    Wouldn't save like that....no clue as to why not.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Got it. Now I throw my card on the table. Just south of Dallas and he is sending me pics via email. It's a dealership asking $18K.

http://houston.craigslist.org/--d/5075865824.html

Add the same m c at the dashes. Odd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Larry I think you started a Rune Frenzy here

I gotta say the comments from Ray Blank and the ones in that article are truly fascinating.

"The Rune proved to be a challenge for the Honda engineers who had to make a functioning bike from a styling concept."